A question about musical influcences

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

This is just a light-hearted exercise about something that's been on my mind lately.

How do you determine if someone is truly a musical influence on you?

Let me give an example of where it gets less cut-and-dried. I've been experimenting with found sounds, processing such sounds, and chaining them together. Nothing special yet, just playing around. However, what prompted me to explore these ideas was the discovery of an artist called Burial. He apparently takes samples, clips of other songs, etc., and processes, mangles, layers, and cuts it all together into new pieces all within Soundforge. I had done a piece like that some ten years ago, using Cool Edit before the pro version even existed, and some other non-real-time synthesis software for sample sources, and thought it might be cool to explore things further. So, I can list Burial as an influence, right?

The problem is, I don't like his music, and it sounds nothing like mine. To me, the electronic, and now the digital, form of composition is a method, rather than a genre. Rules of composition, chord structures, melody, et al, still exist separately. I also don't like the idea of sampling other peoples' works.

So, is he one of my influences? I've already answered this question for myself, but I'm curious what everyone else here thinks. Remember, my intent is to start an interesting, non-heavy discussion. Thanks!

One might say you were influenced by his technique more than his music itself.

[quote author="Consul"]The problem is, I don't like his music, and it sounds nothing like mine. [/quote]
I would take that for more a positive thing than a problem for my part :green:

i agree, your influenced by him, hes give you some thing, if you did the same music you would be copying him. your taking an example and applying it to your work.

influence.

Just to clarify, when I say I don't like his work, I don't mean that I absolutely hate it. It's just not my cup of tea.

My answer is that, though technically he did influence me to re-explore an area I had played in some time ago, the public perception of the word "influence" in this context means that he and I have musical elements in common. Since that won't be true, I can't list him as an influence.

Besides, I was already doing stuff like this ten years ago. :green: And then I got into trackers...

most every band that I am influenced by I would do things "better" or I would do it this way or that way. that's how I know I am actually influenced by them. other bands I just listen too and love but dont even try that style.

Latest posts

Back