pultec filter for great river mp2nv

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electric

hi all,
i have a question. my "go-to" pre is a great river mp2nv. (thanks dan!) this pre has an insert point between the input stage and output stage amps to place an eq/compressor etc. a trs jack is used to route the signal both in and out unbalanced. the new great river eq is the real reason for the insert point is there.

would it be possible to make a really simple pultec filter that plugged into the insert point and used the mp2nv output stage amp for make up gain? essentially just the filter section without any makeup gain/power supply. i think the mp2nv output amp puts out around 10db. (this might not be enough). also could you make the filter transformerless? i think the great river eq runs transformerless when you are using it with the mp2nv patch point. i think it switches in a transformer coupled input if you use it as a stand alone eq.

just wondering,
electric

welcome to electric

simple answer is ... yes

An insert point can be used for whatever you want. Not just EQ.

It might be a very simple project to make the G/EQ front switch board and just place it in the insert of the GR-NV. There is enough gain pre and post to get a signal to flow on most normal signals.

Try it.

It can only not work and as all will be passive you can't break anything and it is more likely you will have come up with a very simple cheap add-on the Great River.

I may do one myself as I'm sure I have a couple of Gyraf switch boards lying about and a few of the Farnell inductors too.

thanks for the welcome kev :thumb:

so i essentially just take a pultec-style filter section and tie the input/output/ground to a trs 1/4 jack?

i have some inductors laying around and figured it would be an easy way to get a very useful/quick diy project done. thus far i have used plugins in the pc for eq/filtering.

as for the mp2nv in action- well its my only high quality preamp. but for what i have been using it for i think its an amazing unit. i have tracked a lot of vocals (singing, m/f, hip hip vocals), and acoustic guitar with a soundelux 195 with the mp2nv. my only pre before was with a mackie mixer. the upgrade was huge. the DI is also very useful. i am very pleased with the unit. i also live in minneapolis,Minnesota. great river is fairly close over in saint paul. i was actually able to see my unit in dan's testing lab before i took it home.i have talked to dan about stuff over the phone and you will NOT get anything like that from a lot of other companies. i would love to get the eq but cannot swing the $$$ right now. i hear wonderful things about it.

electric

yes
... do check out the Gyraf site for the switch board as it might be the quickest way to get a result.
You can always use it later with Jakob's tube drive section.

Might be an easy way to get started in DIY without taking a major plunge ... small steps and all that.

and yes I do like my Great River. I have the small single channel version.
I'll be doing a new album in the next few weeks to a month and hope to give it, it's first real work out.

Latest posts

Back