A GaN MOSFET power transistor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zapnspark

“Silicon has been the workhorse in the semiconductor industry for last two decades,” Huang said. “But as power electronics get more sophisticated and require higher performing transistors, engineers have been seeking an alternative like gallium nitride-based transistors that can perform better than silicon and in extreme conditions.”

See:

http://tinyurl.com/4zgmrh

ZAP

I'd venture that the primary interest would be in the higher temperature operation, which explains the initial interest from the automotive sector.

The article writer is likely going a bit overboard about the implication that GaN devices are going to be a lot more efficient compared to silicon though---when you have things operating at typical efficiencies being realized routinely today, there ain't a whole lot of room left for improvement.

Usually the big hurdle with MOS (metal-oxide-semiconductor) structures in the early phase, particularly for noise considerations, is limiting the density of surface- and interface-state trapping centers. If he's got a process that works well in this respect already, that's fantastic.

Time will tell.

oh how I hate GaAs(s) RF switches...

just look at them funny and they short..

:green:

No really.

:roll:

I'd still put my money on metalized junction parts. They use oxide layers on metal instead of doped silicon sandwiches..

I've read a few articles on how fast they are.. transistors into the terahertz range.. They are supposed to be cheaper to make too but only time will tell.

brad, did you ever meet any of the lansing bros?

svrt, you are about to become busy, global = solar = dc = ac inverters = svart

i used to own this joint until big, bad , prr got here, so wtf over?

knowledge replaces hype, whats up with that?

:razz:

didn't you hear CJ, I'm an RF guy now!

:shock:

it's all black magic..

I prefer the switchers..

:roll:

EDIT: there is a running joke at work.. when another (non RF) engineer walks by a scope, they almost always inherently ask "what is that waveform?". The RF joke is to always call it "FM". (Fookin magic..)

:green:

It's only physics but damn there are a good lot of things that can't possibly be simulated.. this really really gets my goat.

Yes, you can puck it up. It is called Broadband Over Power Lines. Also, SMPS. But the first one is louder and heard on frequencies from kiloherz to gigahertz. :green:

[quote author="CJ"]i used to own this joint until big, bad , prr got here, so wtf over?
knowledge replaces hype, whats up with that? :razz: [/quote]
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=66

Latest posts

Back