XP SP3 ?!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Hi,

I ran the recent SP3 for Windows XP on a few PCs,
but it won't work on my DAW :cry:

I tried a few different routes (the downloadable exe-file, the disc-image, directly by win-update), but none of these went OK on the DAW.

Strange thing, the machine that was kept way less up-to-date (by regular online updates) than the DAW did swallow the SP3-update fine :roll:

Any idea what the problem might be ? They're all 'genuine' XP-versions. A few subsequent screenshots below.

Thanks,

Peter

XP-SP3_01.jpg

XP-SP3_02.jpg

XP-SP3_03.jpg

[quote author="keefaz"]Just to discard the obvious thing: Have you enough space on disk ?[/quote]
Thanks for responding. Yep, that should have been fine, IIRIC it said it needed 600MB and I had a few GB spare. But can re-run and keep an eye on the diskspace.

Thanks,

Peter

[quote author="Cainester"]Were you logged on as admin with full admin rights?[/quote]

Thanks for responding. Dunno what the store I bought it did with my DAW-PC, but it's just booting & ready to go, no logging-in.
Previous on-line updates always went fine, so I think I have full rights. How could I check that more precise ?

Thanks,

Peter

[quote author="Cainester"]If you had only a few gigs to spare, the drive may need defraging.
Not entirely sure about that though.[/quote]
Defragging a good idea anyway :wink: I saw it was over 4GB though, don't think that made the update fail.

W.r.t. admin-rights, I saw there's only one profile and that's me me & me (and that's OK, I'm the only one supposed to use this PC).
W.r.t. accounts, I saw something like 'me' = Computer administrator, which makes me the local master of the universe with all rights I assume, but please let me know if it might be otherwise.

Bye,

Peter

Peter,

Is there anything very special you need in the SP3 ?

eD))

EDIT : one of my rule with Microsoft products : don't do any upgrade unless you absolutely have to.

[quote author="vertiges"]Peter,

Is there anything very special you need in the SP3 ?

eD))[/quote]
Nothing specific, but want to keep up to date.

DAW-releted forums (like SounOnSound) gave it a go, so then
I went on to install it. I don't manage to keep that DAW completely away from the internet, so I thought it might be good thing to do.

But yes, I think it works OK now, so why bother, I hear you say... :wink:

The weird thing (since SP3 seems to be a collection of updates that might already be 'on that PC' for most of them thru the previous regular online-updates that I applied after SP2) is that this PC might already be 'almost there', as opposed to that other one that will have started from SP2.

Bye,

Peter

Do you run an antivirus software while you're trying to upgrade ?
Also, is there any log file created from previous failed upgrade attempt, so you can see where is the directory that causes an access problem ? (maybe the log is in a temp folder?).
Sorry, I don't know much about windows, I have linux in PC and OSX in a mac here....

Have you read this : ?

http://blog.malwareteks.com/correct...nstalling-windows-xp-sp3-release-candidate-2/

I've disabled the auto-update thing a long time ago.
Thoses big Microsoft updates have the bad habit to bring back your XP to the configuration Microsoft thinks it's the best for you. That's drives me crazy ! All the fine tuning you did are just "killed".

If you don't have any problem, my advice is don't do it ! :wink:

eD

Latest posts

Back