god bless the age of the DAW... urgh.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Man o man more and more these days I have had daw sessions, mainly pro tools, given to me of famous songs. The appear to be copies of the original multitrack/multitracks in some cases. On one hand it's a good study tool to hear and examine various techniques in recording but at the same time I am not happy about it. It's just bad studio etiquette and it seems to be getting more and more common.

you'd think someone would find a way to charge for it ,

Mix your favorite classics , sing with the stars ,
create the vocal line you always knew the song needed

the solo vocal tracks that are floating around ARE interesting
though , sometimes at , how much better they sound mixed

[quote author="pucho812"]It's just bad studio etiquette and it seems to be getting more and more common.[/quote]
...This from the member who posted the Van Halen running with the devil multitrack vocal link...

Keith

I don't deal with labels, so I don't know, but this must in some way related to labels demanding full sessions. Being in a bubble of sorts, I have a real hard time getting my head around the concept of handing over anything more than the audio tracks to a client. I could likely be argued into the ground on this, but I've had more than one attempt at a job 'snatch' come from a glory-grabber trying to get their name on a project I've already done 95% of the work on. Usually offering to work for free, of course. They usually want my entire DAW session as-is, with all processing intact. uh, no......

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="pucho812"]It's just bad studio etiquette and it seems to be getting more and more common.[/quote]
...This from the member who posted the Van Halen running with the devil multitrack vocal link...

Keith[/quote]

ouch :razz: :guinness:

but then that's one track, not a whole session. more entertaining than useful. but on another level, stems from the same problem.

Sure, I'd love to play with those marvin gaye, doors, hendrix, zep, etc masters. many of them were in circulation as soon as adat tape was available. but i haven't gone there; really too much else to do.

I really wish I could get hold of some of those. I think I'd learn a lot. That said, I'd never want MY mixes out in the world. :green:

What I learned from one of them surprised me quite a bit. I put the faders up, adjusted the levels slightly and was 95% towards the final mix. "Less is more" :thumb:

I'd like to get some more raw tracks too, but I also have mixed feelings about the ethics involved. There are the rights of the artists, engineers, and investors to consider. On the other hand, no one is making money off these (yet), and they probably only enhance sales of the original mixes. For example, I bought the commercial CD for the raw tracks that I got. However, it's not my call to make, so....

Maybe as an ethical compromise, if you HAVE to have these, buy the corresponding CD too (even if you already own it). I do hope someday these are available through 100% Kosher channels. I shudder to think about all the Garage Band/Acid re-mixes that would follow though.

-Chris

[quote author="Emperor-TK"]What I learned from one of them surprised me quite a bit. I put the faders up, adjusted the levels slightly and was 95% towards the final mix. "Less is more" :thumb:[/quote]

It's that last 5% that's the kicker though.

The only legit way I could ever see this happening is if the bands released the tracks and got paid for it. I'd LOVE to get hold of some of the old reels from the early Zimbabwean guitar players to isolate individual parts and see what the f%^k they are really playing before everything is layered!

YEH the ethics are definately questionable
but it is nice to have original studio multitracks to further education !? :roll:
Havent actually used any,but loaded a couple in cubase (for curiositys sake ,of course !!) and yes its fun :oops:
But yes the remixes will of course be inevitable, :!:
Bohemian Rhapsody anyone :wink:

[quote author="Mbira"]It's that last 5% that's the kicker though.[/quote]

Then I might be tempted to say 99% of the way there. I would dare to say that if the "faders up" mixes were released as the album, not much would be lost. That being said, much of how the real mix came out was already burned into the raw tracks. It was one of those times where you listen to the soloed bass and scratch your head. Then you put up the rest of the tracks and nod in understanding.

BTW, the song I have is "What's Going on".

-Chris

Yeah does seem a little suspect the way things are getting leaked...

I re-mixed a famous pop track for fun the other week... it's a great way to hear what goes on. After doing my 30 min mix blind I compared it to the Dave Way original mix and really got a kick out of his processing, more than I would have done had I not heard the multis or done a rough balance.

There are quite a few kicking around. I'd love to hear the Marvin Gaye stuff.
-T

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="pucho812"]It's just bad studio etiquette and it seems to be getting more and more common.[/quote]

Keith[/quote]
your right. forget I said anything

I have a few Hendrix / Bob Marley and Zep tracks but would never do anything
at all with them.
Interesting to put up and listen to though, the stuff that used to get bounced
together !! - Jeez, if I did that these days I would get shot !! :grin:

Just shows you that it's the quality of the song and the performance that's
EVERYTHING .... recording quality is WAY down the list of importance !

.... time to return those expensive caps to Farnell then :)

MM.

when kids come into my studio they pay me to track, i will try to coax the best out of them and take as many tracks as time permits, but thats it i'm tracking. at the end they get a dvd with the whole session zero pointed to do what they want with.

if they want me to do some mixing thats a different hat and a separate cost, and for that they get a sterio mix - never multi track.

then again, i'm a hobby so i can be more hard nosed

Iain

you know that every day is bust Pucho's b@ll$ day" for me!!!

hey pucho, I get that in person everyday!!!!

keeps me on my toes,........... or at least trying.....sometimes!

I have a few... / Bob Marley .... tracks

Man,.....Marley? I would love to just listen to a Marley vocal track solo'ed. his voice is transcendant to me.

ot,... I sure used a lot of "..."!!!

[quote author="amorris"]
you know that every day is bust Pucho's b@ll$ day" for me!!!

hey pucho, I get that in person everyday!!!!

keeps me on my toes,........... or at least trying.....sometimes!

I have a few... / Bob Marley .... tracks

Man,.....Marley? I would love to just listen to a Marley vocal track solo'ed. his voice is transcendant to me.

ot,... I sure used a lot of "..."!!![/quote]

I bet. He's good at it too. :wink:

Back