Made in China - not a laughing matter...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

I thought that it was bad enough that most everything that I buy that says "Made in China" on the sticker breaks when I use it and gets thrown away, but this is really spooky for something made in 2007....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo&feature=related

Those cars are death traps!

Here is a youtube of good cars crashing vs. chinese cars crashing.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Dimg2n2Azwg&feature=related

Watch the chassis of the chinese cars folding, and the interiors or the same cars caving in on the vehicle's operator.

amazing! I hope these manufactures get shut down, and vehicles recalled before they kill people.

Well I guess the chinese feel that an airbag isn't quite substantial enough. Why have just an airbag cradle your face in an accident when the entire dashboard can come up to meet you?

OK, OK. They got the crumple good but not the zone part. They are halfway there, so it is just a matter of time, just like with shoes. Everybody laughed at the Keds bo-bo knockoffs and high-heels with the surprise heel, but now the build quality rivals that of Spain, Italy, or Brazil.

I wonder if the drive trains are any good. Any commie cars I drove had drive train oscillations at a few speeds across the spectrum- there would be huge shimmys at say 23 and 48 km/h so you would accelerate fast through those areas and you were fine. If you dwelt there, the "peoples cars" would vibrate like crazy.
Mike

Since China is so good at copying things, I wonder how they managed to miss ripping off the concept of the collapsible steering column. Perhaps they could re-name the 4WD the "Harpoon".

I have always maintained that China is very good at making "Things that look like other things", but that have none of the functionality of the original. Those cars look like real cars, but clearly do not function like other cars, and the result is that in terms of the tests shown on the You Tube videos, that the people who chose other cars live, and the people that choose the Chinese cars die.

I would bet that this extends to the rest of the car also, not just crash testing, the reliability, rust, fit and finish, trim, handling and so on also. This is a car that not only will kill you in a crash, but is far more likely to get you into a crash in the first place.

[quote author="Steve Jones"]Since China is so good at copying things, I wonder how they managed to miss ripping off the concept of the collapsible steering column. Perhaps they could re-name the 4WD the "Harpoon".

I have always maintained that China is very good at making "Things that look like other things", but that have none of the functionality of the original. Those cars look like real cars, but clearly do not function like other cars, and the result is that in terms of the tests shown on the You Tube videos, that the people who chose other cars live, and the people that choose the Chinese cars die.

I would bet that this extends to the rest of the car also, not just crash testing, the reliability, rust, fit and finish, trim, handling and so on also. This is a car that not only will kill you in a crash, but is far more likely to get you into a crash in the first place.[/quote]

You have a good grip on the situation, Steve.

There was a recent item on a BBC news programme about the lack of Chinese patents. Check this out: China comes below Finland (!!!) on the International League Table of patents granted by nation!!!!! China has 1.2 Billion people (correct?), whereas Finland has about 20 million...

I feel really sorry for the Chinese people in light of their recent earthquake, and I do not deny that their culture has some very positive aspects that we could learn from (respect for the elderly being one); but as far as their design / manufacturing is concerned, I for one am decidedly non-plussed. No electrical product I have ever bought from China has lasted me for more than 2 years - a far cry from my Japanese-made stuff which is still going well after 20 years.

The Chinese medicine practices of fitting catheters to bears' stomachs and keeping them in cages is abhorrent! (A bit OT - they use Tiger bones and Rhino horn as well...).

People say that the Chinese are getting better because the Groove Tubes Vipre is made there. Guess what? It was designed in the US! All GT have done is move the production line there and kept an eye on standards - it says nothing about China's abilities whatsoever.

Justin

There was a report the other day that the "cheap" manufacturing process in
China is about to stop, their costs of materials has risen and they won't be
"cheap" for much longer , they are also demanding better wages - a good thing IMO ..... watch out Mr Behringer et all !

MM.

[quote author="thermionic"]There was a recent item on a BBC news programme about the lack of Chinese patents. Check this out: China comes below Finland (!!!) on the International League Table of patents granted by nation!!!!! China has 1.2 Billion people (correct?), whereas Finland has about 20 million...[/quote]
I sure understand what you mean here, but do realize that a lot of the Chinese fly out to the west (Europe, US, ...), study, work, write papers, get granted patents and might be returning home. Those publications & patents may not 'count for China', but...

Regards,

Peter

wow, that car wreck was horrifying. :shock:

I heard this on NPR:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18157710

and loved the quote:"One of the comments made by an executive was, 'Well, we sell our cars to people who drive safely.'

try that one on court here!!

[quote author="amorris"]...and loved the quote:"One of the comments made by an executive was, 'Well, we sell our cars to people who drive safely.'
[/quote]

That reminds me of the Monty Python Flying Circus Architects Sketch:

(...the model partly collapses, the bottom ten floors giving way...)

Mr Leavey Quite frankly I think the central pillar system may need strengthening a bit.

Second City Gent Isn't that going to put the cost up?

Mr Leavey It might.

Second City Gent Well, I don't know whether I'd worry about strengthening that much. After all they're not meant to be luxury flats.

First City Gent I quite agree. I mean, providing the tenants are of light build and relatively sedentary and er, given a spot of good weather, I think we're on to a winner here.

Back