Why C-12 style capsule instead of Neumann style in G7?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

Been sort of browsing various G7 posts the past few days, and it seems most people use a C-12 style capsule (like the Peluso CEK12) in G7's. Is there a reason for this? Just a lot of folks interested in the C-12 style sound? Or is it because Jakob initially used one in his?

And, can someone point me in the direction of any optomizations (? resistor changes? I have no idea) to the G7 circuit that one needs to consider if using an M7 style capsule? Or is it exactly the same?

Thanks!

i think meanwhile, with the m7 capsules from dale etc there are also a lot of builds using these. at the time the mic was designed by jacob, the akg ck12 teflon capsule was one of the very few capsules which was available, and it sounds very nice.

-max

A real K67/87 capsule has a built in hight boost .
A real CK12 can sound very good with a flat amp. The g7 has a flat amp. The u67 and 87 have circuits that work with the 67/87 capsule

+1 to what Gus wrote.

The MOST COMMON Neumann-style capsules (the U67 and U87 versions) have inbuilt HF rise, and are incompatible with the G7 without a significant alteration. Less common Neumann capsules (U47 versions for example) are indeed compatible.

Or, to put it more simply: you can't just say "Neumann style" and have it MEAN anything.

Keith

gus, keith, wrong thread?
---> http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27780

here, with the m7 & g7, you could lower the polarisation voltage for 60 instead of 80v (search)

But, as a counterpoint, I've built several mics for friends using both CK12ish and 87ish capsules.

Peluso's mostly, some others.

Circuitry is flat, plus or minus hairs due to transformers, some have been FET .

We tend to prefer the Neuman-esque capsules because of their less screechy highs.

I have built a couple of mics out of genuine CK12's, that problem doesn't exist.

I haven't incorporated any capsule compensating EQ in any of the circuits, so my opinion would be if it's your first or second mic, try 'em both...

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6804&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cek12&start=15

use the search

Latest posts

Back