hijack: Carol Vorderman!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="SSLtech"]

Ahhh... Carol Vorderman!

[/quote]

:evil:

You've been away from blighty for too long. She's become an ad-whore.
The public thinks she understands numbers but she's on TV advertising loans at >20% PA to people who can't afford to borrow.

:evil:

[quote author="SSLtech"]Ahhh... Carol Vorderman![/quote]

Being from the US, I hadn't heard of her, so I did a little googling. This lead me to a few questions about the British University system. Please pardon my slight diversion of the thread.

She was a member of the "Nines Club" at Cambridge, so named because members achieve a third in each of their three years of study (3+3+3=9).

So if I read this right, that means she was sort of the equivalent of a C- student? She's a pretty C- student though, and still smarter than Jessica Simpson...

A minority of universities award First-Class Honours with Distinction, informally known as a "Starred First" (Cambridge) or a "Congratulatory First" (Oxford). These are seldom awarded. In Oxford, the Congratulatory First involves a ceremony where examiners give a standing ovation.

My wife went to University in the UK for both undergrad and graduate degrees, and she mentioned how she had gotten "distinctions". So am I reading this right that distinctions are a really big deal?

Thanks,
Chris

Ad-whore or not... she can have the top off of my boiled-egg ANY morning!

Has she had work done? -Looks like she's "had an extension put on her awning", if you know what I mean!

gq04.jpg

Distinction: The higher the class of university, the rarer the offering. Places like Oxbridge are pretty stingy, other places may be quite a lot freer with them... but they're not that uncommon.

I have two exam passes with distinction to my name... -perhaps it was three, I really can't recall. -I wasn't aware that they meant ALL that much, though I haven't thought about it for a long time.

Keef

> she had gotten "distinctions". So am I reading this right that distinctions are a really big deal?

In the looser US system, maybe "Dean's List".

My school has "High Academic Honors". (Maybe our Deans do not want the heartache when someone fails to make the cut.) Next week ~~5% of the students who walk for diploma in my place will have that note after their name.

Obviously different schools set the bar higher/lower, base honors on test-score, oral exam, or general review of the student's total achievement.

So your gal may be a big deal or a really big deal; someone who knows the program would have to interpret. But clearly no slacker, no C-student, no "Nines Club". Top-of-the-class.

> Has she had work done?

In that foto, who can tell? It's the bustier, the lights, the makeup. A clever makeup artisan can put highlight and shadow on a boy so that, from one angle, with matching lighting, with careful draping, you'd think what you are thinking.

She's not underequiped in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/v/4XBKg9GpzEY but the blah studio lights are not emphasizing the point. Still I wouldn't fire her for selling washing soap.

Youse guys who tweak polyprop versus polyeth, Mullard versus Telefunken, have nothing on glamour photographers.

That's more recent... since the death of Richard Whiteley (who hosted the show until his death about three years ago) possibly even this year.

Here's a clip from about the time when I saw her, which was late 1989...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vLeMauZBM6U

Either way, the speed with which she can do the numbers is very impressive!

Oh dear.... I've completely hijacked the thread.... sorry! :oops:

Keith

so what sort of service do you think would be best if uk based, it must be fool proof ...

(i liked a bit of carol in my thread)

Iain

You do realise that Vorderman has made adverts for debt-consolidation companies, Keith? That's on-a-par with dealing Class A drugs in my book...

4. First Plus, featuring Carol Vorderman

Carol Vorderman's decision to endorse a personal loan company was always questionable; however there can be no doubt about how irritating the ads are - according to Times Online visitors. "Surely the sight of all those well-heeled people such as Carol Vorderman and others picking up a few more quid while encouraging people to take on loans they will be unable to finance is reprehensible and irresponsible. "Bet they don't need a loan!" railed John. Quite. If it's any consolation, the Advertising Standards Agency doesn't think much of these ads either

Sorry Keef, but IMHO, she's a cold-hearted shitbag.

When you're as wealthy as she is, you can hire proper image consultants... Before the image makeover, she really was nothing special in terms of looks.

She's the president of MENSA, yet she did an advert for a debt-consolidation firm? :twisted:

Solve all your problems with debts...

...de-pluralise them!

Apologies for being somewhat vehement here. Whitely was a gem and he's much-missed.

Justin

[quote author="Rochey"][quote author="SSLtech"]
gq04.jpg

[/quote]

Holy Smokes! thats not the miss voderman from countdown I remember...[/quote]

That's because she's given $xxxxxxx to image consultants and chosen her photographer carefully. Unless money is your thing, I guarantee you wouldn't want to see her first thing in the morning.

Justin

Check her out - her desire for money has no boundaries: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carol-Vordermans-30-Day-Cellulite-Plan/dp/0753509172

I count at least 6 beauty books at Amazon alone... Isn't the point about joining MENSA that you're supposed to trade off your brains, not beauty (an industry which has been repressing women for decades - it's now starting on men; "Nivea for men; No.7 for men")?

There is far, far nicer thinking man's crumpet about than CV - she wouldn't even be in the top thousand.

Justin

She used to put letters out on a shelf in a TV show !!
What's so "brainiac" about that ??

... still, clever lady to make such a success of her career though !

Oh, I thought she was the president of "DENSA" !!
MM. :grin:

the D.B. called me the otherday but forgot about the time difference ,
i told her not to call again ...........and get better airbrushing .

ruined a perfectly good sleep

Personally I always prefered Dr Charlotte Uhlenbroek
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/programmes/who/charlotte_uhlenbroek.shtml

I always thought I might stand a chance with her because she likes Monkeys
!!

Or not forgetting Saba Douglas-Hamilton
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/programmes/who/saba_douglashamilton.shtml

Yeah, good choices Rob.
Both top totty!
Vorderman is looking a bit mutton these days - and have you seen the size of her arse?
I absolutely agree with the comments about selling dodgy finance - celebrities should know better.
I love this Dead Ringers piss-take:
http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=5046736982&

Martyn

Top choices, Rob :thumb:

I can't find a photo of her, but my vote for TV's top totty would be Ramita Navai - often seen on C4's Unreported World. Not only is she gorgeous, but she has a conscience and spends her life shedding light on the plight of the world's less fortunate - in print and on TV.

Justin

[quote author="Consul"]I'm quite partial to Konnie Huq myself.[/quote]

Yes Konnie Huq is very nice. She was doing some filming for Blue Peter a while back near the studio I used to have & she is very nice in the flesh also. Not that I saw all of her flesh !!

Not wishing to "out do" you all but this is a true story, the singer in my Band
"Blake Feehan" was playing "Frodo" in a lot of the Long shots in L O T R.
He spent a couple of weeks having breakfast with Liv Tyler !!!!
Not only was she "gorgeous" up close but a very friendly and funny woman
to boot :)

Beat that !!

MM.

Latest posts

Back