[ACMP investiupgradifications] All things PREAMP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="CHANCE"]That color shown is not the color. The color sample I sent to them was very dark bronze.[/quote]

OK cool. I'm sure I read it was going to be the burnt orange, but as the man himself has said - dark bronze it is.

Should look nice. Thanks Chance.

-T

[quote author="hejsan"]Red is the warmest color, leading to the warmest perceived sound you know.. :green: [/quote]
Nice try :wink: :thumb:
But I do like the colour combination of the Brent A.-neighbour.

[quote author="CHANCE"]Like I said in the blk mkt "The xfrmrs will not be China made". I have a HUNCH that they're US made. I am submitting the order tomorrow (Tuesday) I'll get/post the schems as soon as I can.[/quote]

Then this is probably not the unit I saw (and took photo above) at the Frankfurt Music Show. Those units were explicitly claimed to be all-chinese parts by the vendor, 797Audio.

Jakob E.

W.r.t. "The xfrmrs will not be China made", dunno, isn't it about the used materials and designs...? As long as they're well-made by highly motivated and skilled workers I'm fine with any place of manufacturing :wink:

I understand 'Made with pride in Bobbejaanland/Legoland/the US or wherever' sounds better than 'with a few Chinese junk-TXs thrown in', but OK, let's not let that be the single criterion.

And thanks Jakob for that pic you made available, it has given lots of info and wil have helped people with deciding on what to order
:thumb:

... or it will have given us 'false' info and we all end up with boxes with uA741-gainstages :twisted: :cool: :grin: :wink:

Looking forward to using these & I expect we'll have some nice fun ahead when testing & modding & tweaking.

Best regards,

Peter

honestly i don't expect xfmrs would get shipped in from anywhere ,
that would up the cost and hurt the profit but after a few generations
you hope they have gotten better in whatever design they are using ,
refining everytime another order is made .
who knows maybe in the future , the Chinese vintage will be the thing
in mid-FI sound , getting back to the 2000's !
Chance , do you have any solid info to say that the transformers have
some american connection ?
Again at the least i would think this may be a " stock " design , hopefully
at current " state of the Art " for china .

I agree gyraf's pic was encouraging , hopefully at least that quality if not
better , still no pic or schematic from Chance ......................

These pics surfaced on GS. Pictures taken by Alan Hyatt.
Unfortunately the resolution on the schematic is real low. But I guess it's better than nothing.

ppa_797EQ2028229.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

DSC00970.jpg

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

DSC00973.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

[quote author="tarnationsauce"]
ppa_797EQ2028229.jpg
[/quote]

Good find. Now, let's see if we can get a better copy of the schematic and check for any issues.

Its worth having a look at everying going on over at gearslutz and homerecording - Its not confirmed in any way that these are the same units.

..Not that I'd be disappointed if they are!

yeah someone is trying to stir things up ,
thanks for the schematic , the effort is appreciated
even if it may not be the same , interesting none the less

[quote author="rodabod"] Good find. Now, let's see if we can get a better copy of the schematic and check for any issues.[/quote]
It is possible those schematics are of a different revision and/or different alltogether as Gareth said.
Though Alan PM'd me on GS and said he has all the schematics but the file sizes are too big to upload to the forum.
I asked him if he could email them to me so I can host them so others can see.

I really hope Alan pulls through, he's been catching a lot of flack (see GS / HomeRecording for all the drama).

I'll be surprised if these are any different from the 797 design. I did wonder why Chance never managed to provide any documentation regarding the schematics.

However, this does not really bother me at all. 797 Audio appear to be one of the better Chinese manufacturers.

Courtesy of Alan Hyatt and Matti, here is the '73 schematic from 797 which we believe is the only one we have available.

I'd just like to say, can we please leave the arguing over at Gearslutz and Homerecording? We don't need that here.

JPEG: http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/517/scem73gd2.jpg

PNG: http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1774/scem73wv9.png

Cheers,

Roddy

so what about this chamlab iron? I think I put the mic input one into the 33609 redo as interstage,lol. The switch assemblies look like the standard cheap stuff you can pick up at every diysite for ladder attenuators.

Not much time to really look at the schemos, but first thing I noticed:

Whats up with the excessive damping capacitance on the mic trafo secondary. Standard 10468 requires 180pF not 1000pF.

Wonder if the chinese trafos have substantial ringing and overshoot?

Line input and line output values look right or ballpark.

As said previously the switches look like Chiefdom, which are used by Joe Malone... maybe not as good as an Elma or Grayhill but likely better than a Lorlin.

-T

Back