official lockwasher on toggle switches police

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shabtek

nothing ruffles my feathers like when one has built a fine lookin' project and assembles the toggle switches with the lock-washer on the exterior side of the front panel...

[quote author="shabtek"]nothing ruffles my feathers like when one has built a fine lookin' project and assembles the toggle switches with the lock-washer on the exterior side of the front panel...[/quote]

I know what you mean. It's a worst crime than lying about the existence of WoMD.

:wink:

Justin

My lockwashers are always going on the outside. Many times the lockwasher looks far more boss than the crappy pressed metal trim washer, and nuthin' but the nut is a guarantee of a gouged panel....which looks worse than a lockwasher. We will never agree on this. So there. You just need to let it go. Have a great day!

[quote author="okgb"]Ahh the lockwasher on the outside imediatly identifies you ,
you know , some people actually vote for bush[/quote]

ha! not me. ever. Might vote for Satan before Bush.

I propose another DIY police action; ban the use of pro pre-fab panels, screening, and engraving. Buy a drill press, for god's sake. :razz:

[quote author="emrr"] and nuthin' but the nut is a guarantee of a gouged panel....which looks worse than a lockwasher. [/quote]

Had you never thought of loosely doing up the outside nut, & using a spanner on the inside nut to pinch the whole thing up? Thus avoiding a gouged front panel.

[quote author="okgb"]Ahh the lockwasher on the outside imediatly identifies you ,
you know , some people actually vote for bush[/quote]

You slay me, Sir :grin:

Justin

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]
Had you never thought of loosely doing up the outside nut, & using a spanner on the inside nut to pinch the whole thing up? Thus avoiding a gouged front panel.[/quote]

Now you've done it!! Opened-up the whole "point facing up/ flat facing up" issue.

I'm a point-up man myself.
Mike

Great thread!
I guess Keith will chime in soon about how to use & misuse two bolts when mounting rackgear. :wink:

To bad my own pet-peeve about polarity vs phase isn't relevant here

:cool:

I propose another DIY police action; ban the use of pro pre-fab panels, screening, and engraving. Buy a drill press, for god's sake.

Emrr , you kill me , the screened & engraved panels are one of the things
that SAVE me , you know i forget that i made it and feel better about it
cause of that . [ i issue a warning not to drive and look at my panels ,
it's been known to cause accidents ]

You should start a poll on this !

well some people get it close and twist the part on the inside to make it
straight and tight , not sure i'd want too much torque on some pots , but
i vote lock washer on the inside [ it seems too " southern cousin "
on the outside ]

Other than clints phase / polarity , beef
what about power switch on , up or down ????

[quote author="clintrubber"]Great thread!
I guess Keith will chime in soon about how to use & misuse two bolts when mounting rackgear. :wink: [/quote]
The forces of evil are CONSTANTLY at work!!!:evil:

[quote author="clintrubber"]To bad my own pet-peeve about polarity vs phase isn't relevant here[/quote]
We should unite.

Together... we could conquer this creeping lunacy, once and for all!

:twisted:

Keef

[quote author="SSLtech"]We should unite.

Together... we could conquer this creeping lunacy, once and for all!

:twisted:

Keef[/quote]

:thumb:

What do you think, shall we include these few in The Law as well ? :twisted:

kHz, not KHz
Philips, not Phillips (if we're talking electronics)
s, not sec.
dB, not db
Gainsbourg, not anything else

... there will be a few more :wink:
(too bad NYD isn't here anymore, without douBt he could have added more)

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]
Had you never thought of loosely doing up the outside nut, & using a spanner on the inside nut to pinch the whole thing up? Thus avoiding a gouged front panel.[/quote]

Doesn't work on the tiny little switches that I suspect started this peeve thread; no room between the body and the panel to do so. I frequently build on panels thick enough that I can barely get the hardware on many switches, and have to lose the internal nut to get it the outer one on. It pains me to be unable to find proper 3/16" panels other than in radio station raids and hamfests.

Don't get me started on short pot shafts that aren't long enough to hold a proper big vintage knob......

[quote author="okgb"]
Other than clints phase / polarity , beef
what about power switch on , up or down ????[/quote]
I guess down for the UK and up for the rest of World :green:

I'll go with 'up' for power, down for 'inverted polarity', up for '48V on', down for 'pad engaged', and captive trim washer grooves facing down. I have only used sideways switches on some 3 way gain presets.

Latest posts

Back