Auditronics 501 Rack Job

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluezplaya

I just got a pair of these and am going to rack them up. I have the scanned schematics that came with these but I am having some difficulty trying to get signal from them. I was hoping someone who has had luck racking these before or any other channel strips before might could give me some pointers if I posted the schematic.

This job so far seems to be a walk in the park as far as racking up. I already have a FPD layout designed for it. A have a JLM PSU feeding it the proper voltages...+-15v, and 50v phantom. I am getting a fairly strong (but somewhat dirty) signal from the echo send and cue send. I guess I need to determine if there needs to be a potentiometer in place of the Auditronics fader (which I don't have) and if I should jumper in place on the schematic.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated (I should mention I might have a couple of Melcor 1731 boards laying around :wink: ).

http://www.adamholtmusic.com/Input Module 2.jpg

Adam

did you jumper the patchbay send / return? Are you using these as mic pre /eq, or line in as well? If you are wanting a nice output, you will need the output drive / transformer card as well....

I want to use these as mic pre/eq. How do I jumper the patchbay send/return? And I don't have the output drive transformer card, just the actual modules.

P2 (lower) #11 is to jackfield, from mic preamp, #12 is from jackfield. #17 fader out, #18 fader ground, #19 fader in.. you can wire a pot here or jumper.
P1 #12 is Program out, the signal w/ EQ, post driver. This is the same driver circuit that is used to feed the output transformers, you can feed one directly from here. Try moving the feedback point on the mic pre driver and the PGM driver from the transistor junction back to the op amp output (pin 6)
I am interested in Melcors, tell me more....

I am interested in Melcors, tell me more....
:green:

And I am interested in your help. :grin:

Okay so i had this wired up correctly (or was on the right track) to start with. So I need to jumper 11 and 12 on P2? And basically wire a pot on 17, 18, 19...but which leg of the pot is ground? Is it center?

BTW, just to make things clear, I have an XLR jack wired in to pins 21 and 22 of P2 and the ground wired to pin 3 of P1. I have a mono 1/4" out with ground also going to pin 3 of P1 and the hot will be going to 12 of P1.

The schematic was a bit confusing with regards to the mic in...high and low. I'm used to seeing + and -.

Try moving the feedback point on the mic pre driver and the PGM driver from the transistor junction back to the op amp output (pin 6)

I grounded the hot wire for output to pin 6 on ALL the 5534's and pretty much got the same signal from every one. It is a dirty , muffled, grainy sound with no EQ.

EDIT: And note that when getting signal from the program out, echo sends, or cue out, these are all affected by the MON/INPUT source switch. Signal with MON, very faint and more distorted signal with INPUT switched.

you do not want to ground pin 6 on the op amps....17 should be fader out (wiper) pin 18 ground (track R) and pin 19 fader in (track L)
leave the mic/tape switch in mic. The off/on to on. You may want to remove the mute fets, and use one of the switches for phantom power (pin 20, P2) Mic in + to 22, - to 21

Latest posts

Back