Nady 1050 Mod - Help?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaMutt

Hi All,

I recently picked up a generic version of the nady 1050 on ebay.

Unfortunately, it was one of the original models with the tube soldered in the pcb.

Read a few posts about the topic, but couldn't find out any specifics. Seems like some people successfully added the socket and whatnot...

I'm looking for some help in finding the right part/part number/source for this so that I can swap out the tubes easily.

Does anyone know what socket will fit/work with this mic?

I like the fact that the body is unbranded and it looks nicer than the stock 1050. But if it's going to be a royal pain in the arse, I'm thinking I might just put this one up for sale and look for a newer version to work with.

Eventually, I'd like to mod this mic by changing out the tube, capsule, tranny and some key components.

any input/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

-rich

I think Home Recording has some good threads about that. May take some searching. I've not spent any time there, but have seen threads linked. Check mic meta here too. The electronics are the same as the Nady TCM 1150 and the Apex 460. Those threads are abundant and that will cover all your needs, except perhaps the socket model number (since those mics may not have had the tube soldered in problem, dunno, maybe they did in which case you're 100 % gold). How much did you pay? What was the "brand" of your mic on ebay? I'm looking for something like that too.

Low cost changes

Also question what you read on the web even what I post.

First adjust the heater voltage to 6VDC from the stock 6.6VDC

Then measure what B+ you have it seems the different model numbers had different B+ voltages

If you want to plug in a tube get the socket things Marik used First link in the above post. (transformer is 8:1 not 11:1 as in the thread my scope had a out of calibration setting)

Change C8 to a 1uf film (taste)
leave the stock circuit to start but use a NOS 12at7 or 12ay7.

Then next change the capsule.

You might like it at this stage.

After this decide what you want. Then look at all the schematics of microphones you can find that you like.

Then pick a transformer

Plate out triode tube microphones tend to be two types
cathode biased or fixed bias. The nady is cathode bias

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.

Tommypiper: The are the 'Stellar' branded mics. do a search for stellar cm-2 on ebay and you should find the link. they cost about $100 less than the nady's I've seen online.

vertiges: thanks. those links are helpful.

gus: I always tend to take everything I read on the net with a grain or 2 of salt. I've always enjoyed your posts and have learned a lot over the last year or so from them. thanks for taking the time to respond here.
I'm going to research what you suggested and will start to look seriously at capsule options as well.

The pelsuso capsules are probably the most easily accessible, but not sure if I'll go that route. I'm looking to get this mic closer to a 47 style without necessarily spending a fortune. Do you have any suggestions for the capsule?

Thanks again everyone.

-Rich

[quote author="MegaMutt"]

Tommypiper: The are the 'Stellar' branded mics. do a search for stellar cm-2 on ebay and you should find the link. they cost about $100 less than the nady's I've seen online.

-Rich[/quote]

Just a note, the tube on the Stellar CM-2 are soldered.
(on the CM1, the tube is socketed)

eD))

[quote author="vertiges"][quote author="MegaMutt"]

-Rich[/quote]

Just a note, the tube on the Stellar CM-2 are soldered.
(on the CM1, the tube is socketed)

eD))[/quote]

Peter from Stellar sounds told me the same thing. I believe the cm1 is more similar to the apex460 (slimmer body)

I'll say this about the mic: Overall the quality and build seem rather decent. I wish I did a little more research or realized that there were 2 versions of the 1050 before I bought it... Hopefully, this will be a rather painless mod.

BTW, Peter was very responsive and helpful with all the questions I had. I would definitely purchase items from him again in the future.

-rich

Peter from Stellar sounds told me the same thing. I believe the cm1 is more similar to the apex460 (slimmer body)
-rich[/quote]

The CM-1 is a 460. All those "460" branded with a lot of differents names come from a Chineese manufacturer called alctron-audio.

BTW, Peter was very responsive and helpful with all the questions I had. I would definitely purchase items from him again in the future.
-rich[/quote]

Yes indeed, he's cool. He takes the time for answering and giving very useful infos. :thumb:

eD)))

[quote author="Gus"]

(transformer is 8:1 not 11:1 as in the thread my scope had a out of calibration setting)
[/quote]

The Nady transformer is 11.4:1, so your scope might be OK :wink: .

The pri inductance of the stock transformer is 104H. Interesting, relammed with high Ni the Q becomes lower and the inductance drops to 92H. Square loop? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Best, M

IMO you will need to spend good money to build a microphone close to a u47

What do you mean close to a u47?

Good capsule like in a real 47 is single backplate

Good transformer built like a BV8

Understanding the tube to transformer section

I'm looking to get this mic closer to a 47 style without necessarily spending a fortune. Do you have any suggestions for the capsule?

[/quote]

If you want it closer to 47 style, then you will need some $$$ to spend for M7. I'd suggest PVC. Although in the same sonic direction, the Mylar skinned is not even close in the smoothness and fluidity of the sound.

Best, M

[quote author="vertiges"]Interesting...

And what about this this one ?

eD)))[/quote]

It is Mylar and is OK. The front and back are very well matched. Sonically not nearly as good as the real thing.

Best, M

P.S. Here is a track of a tube mic I built with this capsule. No any EQ or processing:

http://home.comcast.net/~markfuksman/Jos12AT7.mp3

[quote author="Marik"] P.S. Here is a track of a tube mic I built with this capsule. No any EQ or processing:

http://home.comcast.net/~markfuksman/Jos12AT7.mp3[/quote]

Are you talking about the PK47 or the real one ?

What was the preamp used ? (What a beautiful voice...)

eD

[quote author="vertiges"][quote author="Marik"] P.S. Here is a track of a tube mic I built with this capsule. No any EQ or processing:

http://home.comcast.net/~markfuksman/Jos12AT7.mp3[/quote]

Are you talking about the PK47 or the real one ?

What was the preamp used ? (What a beautiful voice...)

eD[/quote]

This one is PK47. I also have a clip with a real PVC M7 on her on the same tune. It is not fair comparison though, as the M7 is on modified MV692 body.

Marik,

That clip sounds pretty good.

I might spring for an m7 down the line.

As for desoldering the tube itself, is there anything I should be looking out for (other than the obvious) or any tricks to getting it done properly?

I've never really desoldered something like this before...

Gus,

Thanks for the input. I know it's like everything else, you have to spend the money...to get what you want.

I'm slowly starting to get my hands around the design and circuit aspects of these mics.

As for the transformer options, I've talked to a few people that have used the TAB Funkenwerk 314 in conjunction with an NOS 6072 in these mics.

any thoughts, etc?

Thanks again everyone.

-rich

I used a soldapullt ds 017 and a 100 watt temp controlled iron with a big chisel tip to remove the tube. The large tip and temp controlled iron and larger soldapullt made it easy to unsolder the tube.

Latest posts

Back