Best way to remove collet knob caps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Norman

I was wondering if there was a great way to do this without marring the finish of what are sometimes old, fragile caps. I have been using thin blade screwdrivers, and razors to pry them off, but there must be a better tool right?
I am talking about these (blue cap)-
qy01b.jpg

I tried to search for a thread that discussed this but came up short.
Thanks.

Such things to tear eyebrows from a beauty shop may help, just bend ends 90 degrees:

2245.jpg

[quote author="Greg Norman"]Thanks,
Are the tips super thin?[/quote]

I saw some. But sometimes they are too short to bend.

I've used single side razor blade. Or utility knife blade.

worked pretty good for me.

Greg,

There is a correct tool.
RS Components used to sell two different sizes, I purchased mine years ago.
They still should be available.

Thanks,
I looked at the site, 1000s of tools. What is it called?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=browseSuperSection&Ne=4294957561+4294965430&N=4294963862#Hand%20Tools%20and%20Toolkits

Greg,

-Ever noticed how some colours are more prone to breaking than others?

-On Neve consoles it's always the light blue coloured caps which crack/snap.

Here's my best tip:

Get a plastic knife -like those handed out free at the delicatessen- and file down a thin -but not too sharp- edge on it. Take the sharpness off with some steel wool.

That should be able to sneak in under the cap, and you can either 'roll' it around a stationary cap, or "bow" it along the edge of a slowly rotating cap.

What happens is that the plastics aren't totally stable over a long time period, and they weaksn and become soft, brittle and crumbly.

Something in the dyes seems to exacerbate this in SSL green knob caps and Neve light blue knob caps...

Keith

Latest posts

Back