Any chance of obtaining a PCB layout for the U87??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS Audio

I am curious to know where I would be able to find any sort of documentation for the U87 PCB layout in order to one day start working on one of the ultimate DIY Mic project.

Probably there's a reason why not too many people have done this project and I am wasting my time asking such a dumb question. Regardless id like to get some commentary from some of the gurus about a possibility in Diy'ing the "N" U87 mic.

Thanks,

U87s are currently available products hence you won´t find much help in the public to do a clone. Anyway there´s an transformer inside which you surely won´t be able to buy anywhere. So why would you want to get into all that trouble when there are some really goodsounding, welldocumented DIY mike projects around?

U87

Old or new circuit? Resistor types, Fet used etc.

clone or something like it?

It might cost more to clone it (the capsule and transformer and plastic part of the head that has the switches) then to buy a used one

Have you seen inside real u87s?

IMO a ultimate DIY microphone project would not be a clone

I agree. There's much better mics out there that are easier to clone (copy). A construction contractor jacked one of my U87's from the studio a while back. I never bothered to replace it.

The ultimate DIY mic would include a DIY poured diaphragm (collodion is probably the easiest to work with and what Neumann used on the early prototypes) glued to a DIY'ed backplate, and for amplification, a DIY'ed vacuum tube made in a crazy guy's basement and a hand-wound transformer.... I'm getting there....

-Dale

[quote author="dale116dot7"]The ultimate DIY mic would include a DIY poured diaphragm (collodion is probably the easiest to work with and what Neumann used on the early prototypes) glued to a DIY'ed backplate, and for amplification, a DIY'ed vacuum tube made in a crazy guy's basement and a hand-wound transformer.... I'm getting there....

-Dale[/quote]

Humm... You forgot about self made high value resistors (just a small trace of graphite pencil on a ceramic base) and rolling your own film caps!
:grin:

Axel

[quote author="jensenmann"]So why would you want to get into all that trouble when there are some really goodsounding, welldocumented DIY mike projects around?[/quote]

Other than the G7 Tube mic, I would love to find more info in regards to the high end diy mics that you are referring to.(Never had the opportunity to use anything other than crappy Sampson/Stageworks mics :cry: )

Thanks,

the circuits of all the bigname mikes are all around. Get them, do the maths and try to understand what´s going on. There´s a bunch of circuits already discussed here, check the Meta. That´s a good starting point to dive into mike-DIYing

[quote author="jensenmann"]the circuits of all the bigname mikes are all around. Get them, do the maths and try to understand what´s going on. There´s a bunch of circuits already discussed here, check the Meta. That´s a good starting point to dive into mike-DIYing[/quote]

In your humble opinion, what "uber" diy mics do you prefer for lets say....for recording drums? (toms, kick, snare) :wink:

Thanks,

none
Toms: MD421, Beta 98
Snare: SM57, Beyer M201, AKG451, MGefell MV672+M70
Kick: MD421, D12, M88
That´s what I have here and use most of the times. I have not even one DIY mike because I´m very satisfied with my mike collection. Maybe someday a U47-stylee thing but that´s out of reach at the moment.
And all the above mentioned mikes are way cheaper than any reasonable DIY mike.

Humm... You forgot about self made high value resistors (just a small trace of graphite pencil on a ceramic base) and rolling your own film caps!

didn`t was chinese ink for the high value resistors?

Back