Any structural engineers here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

I need advice about installing a bathtub on the second floor of my house. It's been way too long since I've had statics/mechanics, so I wouldn't trust myself to figure out any load calculations. I know a few folks here do construction/installation work, so I thought I might give it a shot.

There is an existing tub on my second floor, but the new tub will hold about 2x the amount of water, and I don't feel like riding the tub down to the first floor like a log flume.

Specs:
floor joists are 2x8 on 12" centers
the room below the tub is 13'x13', with the back of the tub against a load bearing wall, centered between two non load bearing walls.
The tub will be about 800 lbs full with water and a person.
Manufacturers recommend between 50 and 80 lbs/sq ft load bearing capability depending on the tub model.

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

I'm not a structural engineer, but I am in construction and recently worked on a house with a HUGE and I mean HUUUUUUUGE ass tub on the 2nd floor. It was supported by 2x12's in 3's on 12" centers. I know someone to ask, but I won't see them until after Tuesday. I'll get you some sorta answer. IMO, I'd over build it.

> Any opinions welcome.

Insufficient data. What is the span of those 2x8"s? Are they really nailed well and/or set on a good header? How big is the tub? Is it supported all over the bottom, around the base, by a rim? Can you scan a sketch?

However, if you have 80psf over just the first two feet of 2x8 set on firm bearing 12" apart, you will fall by shearing where the joists almost reach the header.
a47ibq.gif

Assume just four joists take the full load. 200 pounds shear in each joist. If you take a short length of 2x8 with a support at each end, and set two 200 pound people on it, it is not in real danger of shearing at the ends. Or in math: cheap lumber has failure shear near 1,000psi. A 2x8 is really 1.5x7.25" or 10 square inches. It will fail at 10,000 pounds shear.... we seem to have a 50:1 safety factor so we don't have to wonder "which" cheap lumber is really in there or if it may be knotty or split by drying.

That assumes the joists are not close to failing the way they fail under a concentrated load at mid-span: cracked in the middle.
2zxp4y0.gif

So let's check a similar tub in the middle of a joist. I assumed 12 foot span. I entered 400 pounds distributed which is equal to 200 pounds concentrated at mid-span. For nominal 2x8, you need wood with 588psi strength; allowable stress on bad cedar may be this low, but the common framing lumbers are allowed 700-1300 and will actually stand 3 times more. So the tub alone mid-span would not break the joists. FWIW, the required stiffness to avoid cracking the plaster below (d=S/360) is 935,000, common woods are around 1,000,000, so it won't sag alarmingly.

If your situation is between at-support and at-midspan, then your joist stress is between the two above conditions. Near the support you are over-over-kill. You don't get near Allowed Stress until 6 feet out from the support. You do have to allow for other loads (tile, other persons, etc). One thing: while you might have a full crowd of laborers, when the tub is full and in-use the room occupancy is low.

Anyway, unless the span is long, 2x8 on 12" centers suggests it WAS designed for deluxe water-works. Most residential framing is 16"OC, so this means someone put money into strength. My shanty gets by with 3x5 on 22" centers (they didn't have a saw and I doubt they had a ruler). However my modest tub sits on two substantial beams with a tree-trunk under the intersection.
2qnqt6t.jpg

Yeah, that one beam is notched pretty good....

[quote author="PRR"]when the tub is full and in-use the room occupancy is low.[/quote]
Sounds like you've never been to one of my parties (just kidding).

Thanks for the great response. I really took the wrong approach to this, thinking in terms of first principles and force vectors like they teach in an engineering mechanics class. I was about to over complicate the analysis by redesigning the wheel (after I retaught myself the mechanics required to do so). I did a little more research and found a great deflection versus load/span calculator here:

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp

I should have guessed that a set of tables or a calculator would have existed for this.

I described the span in my post as 13', but it is actually 13'7", which is very long. Furthermore, there are two openings in the load bearing walls right beneath the supporting joists. I have no idea what the headers are like over the openings, so unless I rip open the walls it will be a leap of faith that they are sufficient to redistribute the load properly.

After reading your post and playing with some numbers in the above calculator, I am pretty confident with going though with the project. I will reinforce the existing joist beneath the tub as well as I can. I am not worried about sag in the 1st floor ceiling so much, since there are compressed pulp ceiling tiles there. Like Butterylicious suggested, I'm going to overbuild it as best I can.

Thanks again for the help. On a completely unrelated note, do you know a good mig/tig wleder in the New Brunswick area? I need someone who can weld stainless steel without loosing the the chromium near the welds. I've called a few locals out of the yellow pages, but no one seems to want to call me back (small job).

-Chris

tub2.jpg

Standard floor joists are 2x10 for most new construction. 2x12 is used when longer spans are involved or loads are higher. Checking span tables (Google is your friend--I have a couple of books for reference) shows that 2x10s 16" o.c. are good to around a 14' span with normal floor loading. To achieve similar results with 2x8s requires 12" o.c. spacing.

So, your house seems to have been built with normal loading in mind using cheaper 2x8 floor framing (wider dimensional lumber costs more than just proportion of size increase--check your local big box or lumber yard).

Looking at your floor plan I see some challenges. You are right to worry about that header over the opening below. It will take half the load of the tub, floor tile, wall tile, and whatever additional load it currently has (wall and roof load from above). Assuming standard 4" stud wall, you have at most a 4x8 header spanning what looks to be 5-6' which is challenging. Are your floor joist blocked to prevent twisting under load?

I've been through a major remodel including a lot of structural work. We had some similar situations in our house--400+ lb wood stove plus stone tile hearth on second floor (1200+ pound load). In fact, that is directly above my head as I type this. We had to add a "struct 1" grade 4x10 beam and double several existing 2x10 joists to take the load and that was a 12' span (widening to 14' in the middle of my extended room). "Struct 1" grade is no knots, straight, clear, tight grain and costs a pretty penny compared to No. 2 or even No. 1.

I think it will be well worth the $$ to have a pro do an evaluation. You'll probably have to do some exploratory demolition to get a look at the existing situation. The alternative is not so good and you may be legally required to reveal this when you sell the house in the future. Better to have the structural evaluation and design documents in hand.

A P

> I really took the wrong approach to this ... first principles and force vectors

W.W.J.D? No, not Him; none of us are enlightened enough to know what He would do. His human father, Joseph The Carpenter. What Would Joe Do? Joe and his fellow carpenters built wood structures all over the world, before calculators, before beam-tables, before easy arithmetic. (What is the area of a II by VIII beam?) Their structures stood the strain; a few are still standing.

Joe knew wood. A log will span 10 or 15 diameters with little flex or breakage if you space logs 2 to 5 diameters depending on the load above. Lightly loaded planks (incense boxes and shelves) can span maybe 30 times their thickness, but money-changer coin storage needs a smaller span/thickness ratio. If the kid had not been Called to another occupation, he woulda spent 5 or 10 years working under a Master Carpenter, Joe or one of his cohort, learning such proportions, before starting his own carpentry business.

Joe did not have a big cheap saw, we do, so we have Lumber. A good safe size is: depth in inches equals span in feet. This is actually very safe and you rarely find a beam this deep; however strength under uniform load goes as square of span (and stiffness falls as cube of span) so you can't go a whole lot further than 12:1. As for width: if 10% of total width is wood (1.5" lumber on 16" centers) you can carry ordinary residential loads, including a room completely full of people, but not high stacks of solid paper (or water).

You can build a house with these rules. My house was thrown-up with very loose understanding of such rules, and it is still standing (though saggy) 170 years later. You may end up using more wood than a span-table user, and you may get nit-picked by building inspector, but it will work.

> found a great deflection versus load/span calculator here:

Looks fine. In this area, the pessimistic (and most common) framing wood is #2 Spruce-Pine-Fir, the optimistic is #2 or #1 Douglas Fir. Makes only about 10% difference in allowed Span.

It, correctly, calculates Uniform Distributed Load. The assumption is that the original design engineer can not know what kinda stuff future occupants will put in there, or where. Building codes give guidelines: 30psf for bedrooms, 40psf living/party room, 60psf for balconies which "could" be fully-stuffed when a parade goes by, 100psf for heavy office, 200psf for filing rooms and factories, etc.

I don't like your plan. 13'7" feet is, as you say, long for 2x8. The table/calc says #2SPF at 12"OC is just-enough for 40psf+10psf distributed load. In fact I had a 24-foot house beCAUSE #2SPF 2x8 16"OC will span 12'3", and they based the design on that fact.

Hmmmm... the problem is deflection, not strength. But loosening to D=S/180 does not allow much higher load. The beam is very nearly "optimum", for residential strength/sag expectations.

The tub is not uniform all over the floor, apparently exceeds 40psf, and moreover could rest entirely on just two joists (assuming little load-sharing through floorboards and cross-bracing). One end is over (dubious) wall-support, the other is nearly at mid-span. WWJD? He might assume half the tub was concentrated AT mid-span, the other half could be ignored being over support. A foot-wide strip of 13.5' 40psf floor is 540 pounds, so it could support a single 270 lb load, or a single 540 lb load spread over 2 feet. Since your load is maybe 400 lb, that leaves 140 lb which is nominally just 10psf live load over the rest of these two joists.

So I'll let you do more math and let it be on your head. Off the record: IF there are no big flaws in the two beams, IF the header is adequate for a similarly concentrated load in excess of distributed-load assumptions, it may exceed Allowed Stress but it won't fall down in a lifetime. (Longer if the tub is usually empty.) But if you didn't build the framing yerself, that's a lotta "ifs".

Thought experiment: you and three fat friends do a group-hug. That could be 800 pounds in the floor-space of a tub. You don't fear fall-through. However you are somewhat relying on the fact that wood will take short-term overload: my sub-Code porch might stand the 800 pound hug for a moment, but if it went on for hours I'd start to worry.

FWIW: baby-grand pianos are sold into homes every week, and you don't hear of them being found in the cellar.

OTOH: in New Brunswick a few years back, there was a party on the second floor which suddenly fell to the first floor. It was a balloon-frame house. Studs ran up 16 feet. Ledgers were spiked to studs to support the upper floor. The entire second floor pancaked to the first floor. This used to be a known hazard of cheap balloon frames, but kids today only know platform frames, and were perhaps too high to care.

> what the headers are like over the openings, so unless I rip open the walls

My 24' house had a single 2x4 over any door or window. (Even with no tributary load, this was mighty cheap; that was the 1947 housing shortage and they got away with some cheap work.)

You can dis-prove such cheapness by throwing a 1/8" drillbit into the header. In my old house, 1/2" of wallboard then nothing. Common practice would be 1.5" lumber, random 1/2" plywood spacers, and another 1.5" lumber. Do this at 2 or 3 heights so you know if it is a 2x12 or a 2x6 header. But you still don't know if the side studs were properly doubled-up (might need to be triple). And stuff like this is where many builders really get sloppy.

> I am not worried about sag in the 1st floor ceiling so much, since there are compressed pulp ceiling tiles

You usually do not want to be shy of D=S/360 for floors you walk on. They feel cheap. Roofs are allowed D=S/180 because roofers are used to a lively surface. In this case it is a minor issue. The floor could sag but won't feel springy with 800 pounds of concentrated load. It is still unwise to allow large sag because the non-90-degree sagged joints may pull nails or dent the edge of the headers.

Some more good food for thought. I do know that the old tub has to come out regardless of any of these considerations. When it comes out I will be able to see exactly what is underneath. I like your idea of doing the exploratory surgery on the header too. I'll do that.

Thanks,
Chris

OK, for anyone who is following this thread out of curiosity...

I decided to run my own numbers on the tubs to check the manufacturers numbers and found out that some had built in safety/fudge factors while others didn't. On top of the most conservative estimate, I added my own fudge factor and live load to get to the 800lbs. Here are the new numbers. I also calculated the weight of my existing tub when filled to overflow:

Tubs filled to overflow, no people

Existing tub: 382 lbs
New tub 1: 487 lbs
New tub 2: 480 lbs

Each of these tubs full weighs about the same as an EMPTY cast iron tub. The current tub also has a fiberglass/acrylic surround, so I had to calculate the weight of the tile and cement board we were planning on putting around this new tub. It came out to 577 lbs. The tile upgrade weighs more than a full tub!

Based on the new numbers and the discussions here, I feel pretty comfortable going with the new deeper tub, but nixing the idea of the tile and doing a new acrylic surround.

Thanks to everyone for the input. If anyone sees any holes in my reasoning, please let me know! I'll still strengthen/block the floor joists and probe the header to make sure everything is OK.

Chris

> tile and cement board we were planning on putting around this new tub.

If hung on wall, not set on floor, that is a different though related issue.

It appears that your upstairs wall has no support under it. The wall itself does act like a truss, with 2x4 members and gypsum-board diagonals. When I tried to jack my long-sagged main beam, the force was not just in excess of the floor weight, or the wall weight. I had to fight the truss-stiffness of the walls. I stopped when dust dribbled out of the cracks in the plaster. (And this wall is half open archway; with top and bottom chord and the other half plastered enough to resist racking, it still works as a sub-optimum but effective truss.)

I do like the plastic surround. Tile surrounds "do" crack when heavy tub meets good-enuff framing. The cement board will resist cracking, but the corner can't be done strong enough to resist opening up as the tub is filled. An old trick is to do the final mud and caulk with the tub filled.... when empty the filler is under compression and usually does not look too distresed, not like tension cracks. OTOH the tension cracks are closed when empty and open-up only when the tub is filled, and you may not notice with soap in your eyes. OTOOH, the scuzz comes off the plastic easier. I know that good tile is traditional high-class, but the cheap product is more practical.

Latest posts

Back