When I first found this group...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
When I first found this group... I was inspired by the generous spirit of people sharing information and the willingness of them to teach me things I never thought I would understand. It was a rare haven on the internet that was virtually free of personal attacks. Any criticism was generally in the form of a constructive observation...

Over the years I have asked lots of questions, received lots of answers, perhaps even helped that one person in the corner that I used to be when I first arrived. I'm still an idiot, but less of one because of the collective knowledge and generosity of the knowledgeable people that I am surrounded by. This group is made up of good people. This is YOUR place, no more and no less than it is my own. Take care of it, and remember to thank the people that invest their time in helping you and try to pay it forward when you can.

This group is made of GOOD people.
Thank you.

As a noobie idiot my damn self, a big amen. This place rocks (even with the recent rise in drama). Thank you all. :thumb:

I find this forum a great cross-section of personalities and cultural influences.

We need I think to realize that among other things, it's a kind of laboratory environment. Maybe a simulator would be a better analogy.

The nice thing is: when we conflict here, it usually doesn't result in permanent physical damage. Like a simulator---you can make a terrible error and your transistors or whatever don't vaporize, as they would do on the bench. That's not to trivialize getting royally pissed off or being hurt. Or being ashamed after being suckered into a stupid contretemps.

The only comparable amount of fun I've had was with an entheogen-oriented timewave-zero-theory-inspired forum, which still exists in an altered form but lacks the instantly-available chatter when you landed, which proved to be too subject to abuse, high-maintenance, and bandwidth-demanding.

I wasn't there for all that long before I made several friends, including at that time a 15 year old girl who wanted me to adopt her (yeah I hear some of you saying Where do I sign up?!). And I'm pretty sure "she" wasn't a balding guy with a dossier and a doughnut. I don't anticipate any doors breaking down at 3AM. At least not because of my contributions to that site.

Not looking for anything exactly like that here---but I do enjoy the place most of the time :grin:

:thumb:
This forum helps a lot!
(I wonder how much projects have been built from ideas discussed here, surely more than a few thousands)

Ethan, agreed but it won't continue unless the mods do something about the
folks that continue to troll/antagonize and generally piss people off !!

We just lost Wayne and all his posts, that's one of quite a few recently.

How about doing some more "moderating" to those who require it ?

MM.

When I came here, I only had a small knowledge of audio. Before that, I used to troll around on strange forums, eating donuts and pretending to be a 15 year old girl in need of being adopted..

But I digress.

Since then, I have found myself learning a lot, specifically knowledge that simply cannot be learned in books. Heck, I didn't even know a capacitor could have a "sound".. and so forth. I felt like a noob, out of place and green although I had been working in electronics for years. It was a completely humbling experience and it still is when I read some of the blatantly stupid questions that I asked when I first came to the forum. :roll:

Thank you Forum, and thank you forum members.

:thumb:

im in the process of writting a book of stupid questions i am too scarred to ask.

back to the art of stupidity

[quote author="Svart"]When I came here, I only had a small knowledge of audio. Before that, I used to troll around on strange forums, eating donuts and pretending to be a 15 year old girl in need of being adopted..[/quote]

Bwahahaaaaaaaaa!

-Thanks for the laugh... that was very finely judged indeed!

I was in quite a gloomy mood until I read that!

Keith

I have to also say that this place is great. If you haven't noticed in Montreal we have a few of us and we have started meeting in person. Its not going to happen every week and may not even once a month but its a start.

I want to encourage you to start local clubs. It works if you take your time. Its a great thing to put a face to the names.

But even without that the people here are for the most part much more civil then in other forums.

Jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"]
But even without that the people here are for the most part much more civil then in other forums.
Jim[/quote]

Oh my goodness yes. On that one I alluded to above there was a truly world-class flamer whose nickname was Psychoscream. He was eventually banned, and in fact may hold a record for being banned from other fora.

EDIT: Wow just noticed the impact of all those threads being deleted---my own post count has dropped some 25-30%. So it goes.

EDIT 2: I see that wasn't it---just pruning in other ways.

The maturity level here is soothing.

The two worst trolls we had left on their own accord. I guess they didn't get the same rise they got out of folks on other fora.

Thank you Ethan, the other moderators and our host Prodigy Professional
for providing this great place as well as the cost and effort to keep it going. It's my favourite forum of all.

And of course, thanks to the contributors who make up this great communal diy mind.

Best regards :thumb:

Any forum with this many members will have the occasional bit of friction. However, as I wrote a while back, I've yet to see a more chilled, professional, knowledgeable - and indeed, egalitarian - vibe at ANY other group.

I occasionally surf groups relating to cars... As with audio, I have learnt the following rule: where there's hawking, there's unpleasantness. Hawking = money = bread on the table. If you have a profusion of hawking, you'll never have a good vibe. For example: if I compare groups that talk about the latest cars, they're littered with dealers, and there's masses of mindless flaming. If I look at the groups devoted to classics, aside from when authenticity issues come up (rarely; and unpleasantly if the car's for sale), the members are extremely friendly and there's virtually no flaming.

Here's to Chae and Ethan :guinness:

Justin

btw - If Prodigy Pro wish to make the odd announcement about a line they carry, I have no problem: someone has to pay for this server!

Roger, I think you are absolutely correct (I'm working on one project myself) however I believe there is still a gap between what Justin was saying and this group. There is some commercial aspect to the DIY projects but I'm not sure if anyone is actually making a living from only DIY projects.

I think we see a lot less of what Justin is talking about because there isn't that much money to be made with kits etc. I mean real $, count your research time, your prototype material, waste etc. and then cost of actual kit material . I'm going through that right now and its all coming out of my pocket. Will I see a return on that? Probably break even at best. I'm sure you know that from your exquisite PICO kit project.

Yes there is profit $ there but its very reasonable (in my view) unlike anything like the vintage car market!

I still enjoy Prodigy very much. I also like the fact that we are all different. Most are very tolerant and even put up with my stupid questions without making feel stupid (Wayne was very much like that). Its too bad some get irritated and find it unbearable, but to be corny "that's life or you can't win them all" applies here too.

Overall I'd say we have a winning group here.

jim

[quote author="RogerFoote"]

Enjoy what we have now for tomorrow things may change! :thumb:[/quote]

Always good advice.
I feel thankful for this place often.

Back