Successful landing on Mars

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wish that the Titan lander sent back much better pictures than it did. We spend a whole lot of time and effort on certain planets and none on the more mysterious objects. I would have thought that we would have sent a probe to each planet by now instead of focusing on just a few.

Maybe it's just me but I really want to know what these planets are made of and what their surfaces(if they have any..) look like before I die!

These missions always make me lose sleep. I always get thinking too much about the unknown and my mind won't stop. Not to mention how proud I am of mankind that we still care about learning something new instead of only destroying things here on Earth.

Good day for the nerdy explorers.

Matt

Sorry, but the money would be much better spent trying to save all of us down here !! ( recent food prices anyone ?? )

It's not a case of "Save the planet" more "Save the human race" as the
planet will recover in a few thousand years after we have long gone !!

We know that all the other planets are inhabitable ( too hot/ too cold no oxygen ) and we are the perfect distance from the sun for life so ...... !!

MM.

I know what you mean, and I sympathize.

Ideally I wish funding for everything was voluntary.

But if you were to look at where taxes are going, and more importantly where the indirect funding through printing of fiat money goes, the space programs and other Big Science are pretty negligible. But they are very visible, and have to rankle when someone's barely able to put food on the table.

I hear what you're saying as well, but the human race seems hellbent on destroying itself anyway. Nukes, the environment, over population, etc. etc.

Saying there is a food shortage is pretty funny considering that we don't have any less food, we just have more people that want to eat it.

Either way, I find the pioneering spirit of the space program to be refreshing compared to every other part of what our government funds.

Matt

I wonder one thing, where will Phoenix go after its 90 days mission ?
Will it be another human waste on Mars :grin:
Seriously, it's a great project though, inspirational :thumb:

We could probably grow tomatoes on the moon to feed the hungry, with the money wasted by government (don't get me started on $300B farm bill).

IMO space exploration has it's place along with many more of man's higher callings. We spend money on far stupider things.

Just as a little data point I believe the original photovoltaic research was funded by the space program for powering satellites. So someday we may be powering our homes with a technology created by the space program.

JR

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]We could probably grow tomatoes on the moon to feed the hungry, with the money wasted by government (don't get me started on $300B farm bill).

IMO space exploration has it's place along with many more of man's higher callings. We spend money on far stupider things.

Just as a little data point I believe the original photovoltaic research was funded by the space program for powering satellites. So someday we may be powering our homes with a technology created by the space program.

JR[/quote]

That's a better example than pens that write upside down John :grin:

The farm stuff is REALLY obscene too.

Actually there is less food; some land formerly used for food production is now used to grow corn for ethanol production. I don't know how much this is affecting the price squeeze, but I gather it's having some effect.

As for the Mars shot...yeah, there are a lot of really important things on Earth we could and should be spending our money on. Food, ways to cut fossil-fuel consumption, health, rebuilding cities, lots of things. But the space program, in addition to generating important technologies for us, does important things for the human spirit. It gives us new perspective, new knowledge -- hey, new knowledge of planetary climatology may be pretty useful in the next 100 years -- and a sense of our place in this remarkable universe.

Back in the 1970s Carl Sagan calculated that the entire unmanned space program cost less than the cost overrun on a single new major weapon system. I suspect that's still pretty near true

Peace,
Paul

As a teenager, I always daydreamed what another planet would look like, what strange atmosphere would be there, etc.....how weird that would be.

Then I'd slap myself to regain the realization...I'm on a planet already.
Probably the most interesting planet of the bunch, too.

This planet is taken for granted too often....abused at will, forgotten about, sometimes pushed aside like it's in the way.

=FB=

why should we believe we're on Mars, when there's serious doubts of we were ever at the Moon... (well not yet real people, but that will only take Stanley Kubrik innit?) :green:

I love those missions, I really do!

MartyMart

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:17 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but the money would be much better spent trying to save all of us down here !! ( recent food prices anyone ?? )

It's not a case of "Save the planet" more "Save the human race" as the
planet will recover in a few thousand years after we have long gone !!

We know that all the other planets are inhabitable ( too hot/ too cold no oxygen ) and we are the perfect distance from the sun for life so ...... !!

MM.

DAMN RIGHT MART !

who actually gives a F**k about landing on Mars , man.
I mean come on for fux sake :shock: ,
Starving people, more and more species getting extinct day by day,
Sort out what you got, before you go and F**k something else up.....

but that ain't going to happen is it ?....................

Steve :thumb:

Latest posts

Back