Exporting SPICE Simulation Data

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Groner

Hi

I'm looking for a way to export Protel simulation data to a format readable by MATLAB (e.g. a tab-separated text format). Upon some googling I found a HP tool that claims to convert the *.sdf files but it seems as if the HP and Protel format would be different as the tool cannot load the files. Any ideas?

Samuel

I am not familiar with protel files but does .sdf has something to do with "standard data format" files ? If yes, maybe you should be able to import them in office excel style programs, then export them as tab separated
(sorry if this does not help, but I thought it was worth mentioning)

I think the standard data format is ASCII based which my files are not; they seem to consist of a preamble which states the displayed format (coloures etc.), followed by a messy binary chunck of data. Looks like something proprietary, I'm afraid...

Samuel

I'm pretty certain that Protel turned into Altium's DXP. We use Altium's P-CAD which has been discontinued but they still support it. We have a copy of their DXP. Let me fire it up and see what the export choices are. I'm not familiar with the .sdf file format. I have used the DXP simulator and it works pretty nicely. But I haven't ever tried to export the results. Let me see what I can find out and get back to you. DW.

One of those "if-this-doesn't-exist-it-would-be-cool-to-write-one-myself-but-with-what-free-time" things....

Wouldn't it be cool to have a VST plugin that sent and returned audio streams as voltage sources in a SPICE simulation? I know there's at least one SPICE app that reads/writes WAV files, but it'd be neat to be able to tweak and listen to a simulated circuit in real-time.

Does this exist?

--Bob

[quote author="Samuel Groner"]Solving half a zillion numerical differential equations per second--well...

Samuel[/quote]

So you're saying latency would be a problem? :green: :green: :green: :green:

Guess I'll have to wait for the Intel Supercalifragisticexpialidociouseon 256-core processor. :wink:

I got a new PC at work and I haven't loaded the new Altium Designer on it yet. And I had to re-install windows on my old PC so that install of Altium DXP is now gone.

I did a little bit of google research. That app formerly known as Electronics Workbench is now owned by National Instruments. Apparently the latest version of MultiSim (which is part of that package) will export directly into MatLab. Go check out this link -http://www.ni.com/pdf/academic/us/2004-165_final.pdf
Read down to page 12. There's part of a MatLab program there which may help you.

Let me get the new Altium installed and get back to you again. Sorry to drag you out on this answer. DANA.

Samuel - I ran into this webpage. It is a .m file which imports raw SPICE data into MatLab. It looks like it may have a couple of bugs in it. But maybe it can point you in the right direction.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=8237&objectType=file

DW.

Latest posts

Back