Chevy Van engine question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

You will soon see that engines are NOT my thing. :green:

We have a Chevy Van 30 with a school bus body. I need to know if it has a 6.2L or a 6.5 L engine. Also, I need to know if it is a turbo or NA.

But how?!? :roll:

vin #? There should be an engine code letter or number in it. You'll just have to decipher it.

also, if it's a turbo, you'll see a turbocharger on it near the exhaust header, and the air intake pipe should run into it.

Something like this:
gm-8.gif

> I need to know if it has a 6.2L or a 6.5 L engine. Also, I need to know if it is a turbo or NA.

Turbo school bus? Cool!!!!

There are many ways to identify an engine. Sometimes they make it very hard (1979 T-Bird could have 351-W or 351-M, Similar-different engines with limited part interchange, and you need to know the small clues).

You did not say how old the beast is. 1950s cars/trucks can be tougher. Early 1960s Jeeps had whatever hunk of iron was available at the instant they found enough other parts to build a chassis.

Try http://www.autocheck.com/ and put in your VIN, the 17-digit number all recent vehicles have at the base of the windshield behind the glass (visible but tough to tamper). A full report is money but they give a free peek to prove they know the vehicle. Sample:

Vehicle Record Summary
VIN: 1G6CD5157K4XXXXXX
Year: 1989
Make: Cadillac
Model: DeVille
Style/Body: Sedan 4D
Engine: 4.5L V8 DI
Country of Assembly: United States

They do give you the engine basic designation for free. It may be incomplete: my VIN shows "2.3L" but this engine could be had in 135HP, 150HP Vtec, or 148HP lo-smog versions. I don't need to know to get plugs, filters, etc; I would need to know to get camshaft or ECU. A full VIN decode will usually say exactly which engine was put in. (A school bus VIN may trace to a bare-chassis; the body builder may have a separate ID number. And the VIN may only be on doorpost or dash (and registration).

Of course the engine may not be original.

A Chevrolet V-8 engine normally has some ID stamped on a pad on the passenger's side of the engine block where the head and block meet. First letter F V or T is the plant code. Four digits MMDD date. Then 2 or 3 letters for engine type BUT Chevy re-used type-codes so you need to know what year the engine is from. (CSJ is a 1972 350 and also a 400 in 1976.)

It is, of course, a question for a car/truck community.

Remember that knowing the nominal engine is not sure to be golden. No parts-book knew that when a 1979 T-bird had a W engine it used a M-type exhaust system. I had to find that out trial-and-frustration. Likewise a 1972 Mailtruck, Holly had a replacement carb listed but it would not fit the kick-down link (which wound up on the "wrong" side in a right-hand-drive mail-truck).

Well I did the free autocheck. Came back engine=unspecified. I went ahead and paid the $21.00 to see if that would give me any more. Nope...

Year: 1996
Make: Chevrolet
Model: G30 - / Classic / Hi Cube
Style/Body: Unspecified
Class: Van - Full Sized
Engine: Unspecified
Country of Assembly: United States
Vehicle Age: 12 year(s)
Calculated Owners: 1
Last Reported
Odometer Reading: 121,002

It gave me a rating of 73 when the average rating is 37-59. Whatever that means, but all looks good. I just still don't know what kind of engine I have in there. :?

Well, I just called the Chevy dealership (duh :roll: ) guy asked for the last eight of the vin and told me it's a 6.5L no turbo.

Coulda saved myself $21. :green:

Back