sontec 1 RU build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a good source for OPA604? Mouser and Digikey are both out of stock with very long lead times.

Cheers,
Paul

[quote author="pH"]Does anyone have a good source for OPA604? Mouser and Digikey are both out of stock with very long lead times.

Cheers,
Paul[/quote]

musikding.de or banzaimusicalparts.de have 'm

Can someone help me understand EUROPEAN to AMERICAN Resistor numbers???

I found this:
R-EU_0204/7 MEANS R EUROPEAN SYMBOL 0.25WATT 7.5MM PITCH

OK... but what does R-EU_0207/12 mean :?:
...and so on, like Watts, etc...

I tried searching & found nothing.

Hi, I bought opa604's last time from digikey, but for now seems they
doesn't have them. Farnell is another option.
Regarding resistors, R-EU_0207/12 means 1/4w, 12 mm pitch.
I.e. common 1/4w resistor.
I used to draw pcbs in Eagle, really good prog ,but bom-wise, it is bad ;)

Thanks Igor :thumb:

Do you think it would be OK to use 1/8 watt resistors for:

11k5 & 17k4

I couldn't source the 1/4 or even 1/2 from Mouser. So far they have everything I need except these.

[quote author="TornadoTed"]I've decided to go with the Forrsell opamps instead of the OPA604.

Which ones should I use for IC6 and IC8?[/quote]

Cheapest solution if you want to go Forssell : DLR-1 for IC8 and JFET-992 for IC6

Cheers,

Mike

my stereo sontec is coming along nicely - i have couple of questions though:

1) for those of us that aren't using the board-mounted neutriks, how should the i/o connectors be linked up? i.e. where are the 'hot' and 'cold' signals for input and output found on the i/o board? i could guess, but i don't want to accidentally flip the phase.

2) has anyone found a neat way of using the same knobs on the Q pots and the frequency & cut/boost pots? i have just spent a fairly frustrating couple of hours messing about with nylon pcb spacers, coils of wire, aluminium foil etc. with no real success.

cheers!

What type of KNOBs are these & were can I find them :?:
... anywhere in the US?

I really like the look (or something similar)

fr_small.jpg

Elma knobs from Farnell/Newark and I expect Mouser...

They come in all shaft sizes for this project so you don't need to use spacers,

and were the original knobs on both the ITI Sontec and the GML gear...

Igor also uses the pointed ring underneath the knob which gives it a very nice look.

-Tom

done! tried them out on some drums today and i liked what i heard.

also here are my stereo 1176 and litter of 8 baby animals. check out the sweet panel graphics :razz:
Image011.jpg

Woa!!!
Cool graphics. Pure Zen style!
;)
Inside pictures please!
;)

BTW, which opamps you used?

[quote author="khstudio"]What type of KNOBs are these & were can I find them :?:
... anywhere in the US?
[/quote]

I ordered some of these last week. http://www.okwenclosures.com/products/okw/comb-knobs.htm
They look nice in the pictures and they sell in quantities of 10pcs.

thanks Igor! both channels are loaded with OPA604s at the moment. I'd like to try some JLM99Vs at some point but thought i'd play it safe for now. i'll try and arrange a pic of the insides soon... i have a whole pile of mixes i want to use 'em on first though :thumb:

OPA604s

Speaking of OPA604s... does anyone have 4 of these they'd sell me :?:

I'm in the US so anyone here would be better. I also wanted to get things rolling with them first, then upgrade to:

INPUT:
DLR-1 Differential Line Receiver

OUTPUT:
JFET-993 Discrete Opamp
- OR -
JLM 990 Discrete Opamp

The FF's were recommended by Igor & the JLM was recommended by DRPAT :!:

I might have missed this info, but do we need to solder the 7k5 resisotrs on the bottom side of the eq boards?

I received 16x5k7 resistors from igors resistor kit which wuild suit the needed amount, but not the value? EDIT: Ah upsidedown printing, might that be the problem? but according to the schematic 7k5s are needed?

Thanks
Christoph

hi Cristoph, yes those resistors have to go on the bottom, before you do the pots. as I understand it, they set the 'end points' of the cut/boost pots so smaller resistors = more range

hi all,

is there any advantage in using two regulated PSUs for a stereo unit? one for left, one for right?

i think i read about it some where that it improved some thing not quite sure what now...

best

Pete

Back