sontec 1 RU build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the OKW knobs today. They seem like they are of high quality and comparable to Elma.

I wish the pointer on the pointer ring was a little longer. They also don't offer a collet knob in gray with a line for a 1/4" shaft but you can get a cap with a line in gray. Close enough.

[quote author="Gold"]I got the OKW knobs today. They seem like they are of high quality and comparable to Elma.

I wish the pointer on the pointer ring was a little longer. They also don't offer a collet knob in gray with a line for a 1/4" shaft but you can get a cap with a line in gray. Close enough.[/quote]

I'm about to order from them too... looks like good stuff. :green:

What were the shaft sizes you got?
I ask because you mentioned 1/4 in & I thought the larger ones were 6mm.

Thanks,
Kevin

The knobs I ordered aren't for this project. I haven't started on this yet. I ordered for 1/4" shafts. Most knob diameters come in 4mm, 6mm, 1/8" and 1/4". Some sizes have more limited options. 6mm always has all the options.

I haven't received my pots yet anyway.

[quote author="SALSA"][quote author="TornadoTed"]I've decided to go with the Forrsell opamps instead of the OPA604.

Which ones should I use for IC6 and IC8?[/quote]

Cheapest solution if you want to go Forssell : DLR-1 for IC8 and JFET-992 for IC6

Cheers,

Mike[/quote]

Which parts, if any do I need to leave out if I use the Forssell DLR-1 and JFET-992?

Anyone know where I can get the 12pf Silver Micas. I have tried Mouser, DigiKey, Banzai, RS and Farnell?

Toronto Ted,

don't need to leave any parts our for the line receiver and 993.

you can get the 12pf silver mica on ebay....

best

Pete

I just found the 12pf on eBay, many thanks.

I double checked my list and I have everything now except the 4.7uf Poly

What are you guys using there?

Also it says use 4k7 resistors for more boost/cut on the bottom side of the board.

I have a Purusha case with 12dB of cut/boost. Do I need to use those resistors to roughly match the value on the case?

Many apologies if i am asking stupid questions, this is my first solo build and I only have a very basic knowledge of electronics!

I bought this massive Wima from Banzai...

I'm not sure about the resistor values either, would be handy to know which value comes closest to +/-12dB...

hth, christoph

[quote author="crisotop"]

I'm not sure about the resistor values either, would be handy to know which value comes closest to +/-12dB...

hth, christoph[/quote]

uh oh... I'm using the 12dB scale & just loaded the 7.5's :?:

I'd like to know too before I mount the Pots.

[quote author="Igor"]Hi, 4k7 will give exactly +/-12db.[/quote]

Thanks Igor. :thumb:

Can I ask which way you prefer it?
I see that you also used Tat's case with the 12dB scale... did you set yours up with the 4.7's?

I may have some de-soldering to do today. :sad:

yehaaa...

i finished the sonntec!!! and it sound extreme cool! today i will check the eq on a mastering session.
...but i think i have to de solder the 7k5 and put 4k7 in for 12 db boost/cut..

Hi, yes, I using 4k7 or 5k6 (which at stock at the moment).
If boost/cut less then 11.5 db with (4.7...5.6)k, just check
if filter's caps - 4u7, 3n3, 0.47u, 330p, 0.15u, 100p have 5%
tolerance with cap' meter.

Has anyone had luck getting the pots? I inquired with Alphastat, they email me every 4 months or so in German, suffice it to say I have not been able to place an order yet

[quote author="nielsk"]Has anyone had luck getting the pots? I inquired with Alphastat, they email me every 4 months or so in German, suffice it to say I have not been able to place an order yet[/quote]

I had a feeling they would be hard to get (when I placed the order for the PCB's) which is the reason I paid the extra for the KIT. :wink:

It was a lot of money for us USA folks but worth it for less headache.

Check with Igor about a POT & Switch KIT. he may still have some.

What happens at the spot on the PCB marked FB with a resistor outline with 0 in it?

A jumper?

Since I posted this I got the pots through the post from Igor. There are,

1x 270 - XS8776 - 0826 with 5 pins
3x 270 - XS8787 - 0827 with 3 pins

I'm confused as to why I have different 5k pots rather than 4 the same.

Does the 1x 270 - XS8776 - 0826 have to go in a certain position?

If I remember it right the five-pin version is the 'Q' Pot for the low frequency band - will be back home in a couple of hours and can double check.

hth, christoph

Latest posts

Back