sontec 1 RU build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harpo said:
No. With perfect value center tapped pots (they won't be perfect), 4.7K resistors will give you a +/-12dB range of boost/cut. Using 7.5K resistors instead in these voltage dividers will decrease this range to +/-11.3dB. If you want halve of this +/-12dB range, double up the resistor values of R18 ... R21 for a +/-6dB range of cut/boost.

Thanks

there, another baby is born.......  Thanks to Igor for creating this project and his patience with my post office complaining!  It was worth the wait!!  Also thanks to Cstella for his help, PTRON for his cool idea about detented pots!

Good Luck in your build, now have to get back to work to pay for the $1100 us it cost me to build this baby.

Saludos!!

Ludwing

Attachments

• T-filter small.jpg
    T-filter small.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 164
dude, Ludwing... looks great!!! :) im glad u liked the detented story! did u measure the pots before installing? was a pain in the ass but i got mine with the pots somewhat matched between detent pos.
my builds have been delayed.. the DOA`s havent arrived yet and ill be off for 2 months in about a week... i hope i can finish before that time but im uncertain!!

best for u and all the sontec enthusiasts :D

(btw are those sifam knobs???)

Hey PTRON,

what DOA are you using? why don't you build with 604s and then replace once you get the DOA?  In all Honesty, I think 604 do a very good job!

yes, Sifam knobs!  I have a contact in US in case you need them

Thanks!

i might go with those knobs man! they look very nice.. indeed close to the original, not quite but great looks.

i would keep going with 604`s i might try one unit with them but in this moment, the 604 havent been sent with the kit, alongside with the DOA`s and a couple of extras for other builds... im about to leave to a short but demanding tour thru europe and asia.. gonna be hard to get it done now.

about this sifam dealer in USA.. sounds great! thanks a lot ludwing!! ive had a few weeks to think about this.. only thing, do they feel solid or theyre flimsy thin plastic knobs? like mackie`s hehe .. id like some solid heavy knobs sort of story

thanks a lot!!!

How about this?

http://www.ij-audio.com/store/pcbs/msbypass-board/

The new sontec board would be good but if this will fit I'll be happy. :)

Hello-
Could anybody share what it cost them to complete their Sontec 2U build in the U.S.?
Trying to decide how many pennies I might need to save to take this project on...
thanks!
JS

@dudes who want to use new MS/bypass/power supply board: you need to ask for 250mm case from Tat.
@JD: between $800-1300; complete and tested from us, with MS and our DOA's... feel free to ask (Skype, mail, Facebook, etc).

Still waiting for AD706's to arrive from RS but here she is so far.. really itching to test it out!

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

Very nice work. You can use OPA2604 or other low dc offset jfet opamp instead of AD706...it is just a dc servo, after all :)
What are the knobs you used?

Thanks igor! I've been told the chips are arriving early this week so fingers crossed!

Knobs are 16mm and 19mm aluminium ones from RS, same ones dagoose used on his stepped Sontec. I wanted a more modern approach instead of the multicolored scheme. ;)

wow those knobs look really nice!!! were they overly expensive? RS don't deliver to mexico but would be good to know anyways!!!

great work! i hope mine looks half as good as that!!

btw.. did u have a problem with the toggles? being a bit too low for the faceplate when fitted on pcb`s bottom? i found mine being a tiny bit down.. about 1 or 1.5 mm... and the gain pots, the thread don't go thru the FP either! .. for a moment i thought i ordered the wrong pots heheh

anyways! looking good man! respect

Thanks mate!

With the toggles, you need to use the snap off boards that were originally joined to the amp pcb's (there are about six of them). This will give you the right height for the switches.

Latest posts

Back