new tube stereo-compressor (pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inputoutput

Hey Tech-Maestros, New stereo-compressor in the house. Took me quite a while to build, and I’ve kept on modding it after using it in my studio. But I believe I’m done now. It sounds fantastic, and I've been using it on all productions so far. On mid-tone stuff, it is superior.

front-kaada-compressor4.jpg

front-kaada-compressor3.jpg

I’m really really sorry(!!), but I can’t tell you anything about the original schem, I wish I could share them, but I can't. I’ve made a promise to a friend to keep them to my-selves. So don’t ask.

It sounds beautiful and so transparent, that I added two diodebased saturation-controls to dirt it up, if necessary. Those schematics are picked up from here. http://www.muzique.com/lab/sat2.htm but I used 1N34A and 1N914 diodes like this http://home3.netcarrier.com/~lxh2/tapesat2a.gif They are connected to the input, before the input trafo. The saturation takes out the high-end, and distorts it, kinda 70’ties-retro feel. The small green lamp lights up when the saturation is on, so that I don't forget it - and leaves it on.

output rotary are the NYD attenuators. Frontplate was ordered from Schaeffer. The big knobs are from two old radios. Behind the knobs I’ve put rings of filt-textile. It fills the gap between the knob and the frontplate, and it looks and feels nice. It's a nice cosmetic touch.
filt.jpg

Thanks to all the wiseguys at the forum for all the good reading

Damn that's a smoking hot looking unit!
Looks like you pulled it straight out of a WWII German bomber! ;-)

Cheers
Sean

Hey, that´s a great looking unit. The distortion thing, how does it sound?Can we get some inside shots?

reverse engineering? haha :grin:

what kind of compressor it is?? vary mu, optical, vca, fet?

it look fantastic! :thumb:

Rafael

i just hate when people dont say much about it!
If you dont wanna show us the innards just dont show us some skin! :green:

If you cant say anything about the schem why bother posting?Why not just send jpgs to your "friend".Anyway could you please let us know what was the purpose of this post - to show how the FPs look :roll:

I can understand not posting the schematic.... there are a lot of lurking thieves.

That saturation/distortion thing is pretty cool implement. Curious how you made that happen.

Oh what IC did you use for the Saturation circuit?

Oh can you give a Pixture of the backside?

Fabulous front panel, it has to be a great fun to operate this unit :thumb:
If you could share the fpd file, I would be in heaven :grin:

Yeah, if you can't show the schem publicly, how about showing it to trusted members like us, privately. It won't be all over the web, or even on this forum.

It's annoying not to know more about it.

At least please share the distortion diode circuit.

And give us some general info/hints about the circuit... otherwise it's really an unfair tease. :cry:

[quote author="jensenmann"]a great idea with the felt-ring

:thumb:[/quote]

Yep. This was done a lot on old radios; in fact, you can still buy various sizes of the felt rings from Antique Electronic Supply.

Cheers,
--
Don

Back