British slang question: "Sell the big issue?"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

I keep hearing this phrase as the punch line to jokes in various British panel shows, but have been unable to find any kind of meaning. Doing a Google search uncovers only instances of its use, and no definition.

So I thought I'd ask here, and risk looking stupid. :wink: Thanks!

The 'Big Issue' is a magazine normally sold on the streets by the homeless/poverty stricten folks on the premise they are looking for a hand up, not a hand out. They buy the magazines from the publisher and keep a portion of the proceeds off each sale.

Cheers

Matt

I know the Big Issue is the brunt of many jokes, I even had a friend who wanted to star band called 'Big Issue? No Thanks'...

I do however think that it has helped many feel a sense of self worth and having worked with homeless folks selling the mag I've seen a sense of humanity reinstalled into felling they are doing something of value... and heck it is better than living on the dole!

Cheers

Matt

The reason why it's joked about so much is because you can't go more than 500 yards in central London without somebody trying to sell you the Big Issue.
Every tube station, outside supermarkets....everywhere.
I'm afraid that a lot of people are suffering compassion fatigue.
Times are hard and the constant rattling of tins and people thrusting magazines in your face becomes a major irritant - especially when you are just trying to get to work.
I used to dread going to cashpoint machines (or ATM's if you prefer) in town because there always seemed to be some crusty with a dog on a string camped out there trying to ponce money - sometimes quite aggressively. That's been stopped to a large part now.
The point that I'm trying to make is that we're not totally unsympathetic, but most of us don't have large amounts of spare cash at our disposal these days. If 20 people accost you for money in the space of half an hour - who do you give money to?

I totally understand!

Heck I can guarantee that it is FAR worse in South Africa where you can't leave your home without seeing poverty and homelessness... it seems helpless at times, and money is indeed tight and it is hard to know where/where to spend give money away.

I too feel I get hardened about it because it becomes overwhelming, I just want us all to remember (myself especially) is that they are people as well, many have just made one or 2 really bad life decisions and ended up on the streets.

Cheers

Matt

people tend to forget that it is very very easy to get onto the street, just walk out of your front door, but when you live there try to find a door to walk back into ...

in the uk you cant get a job unless you've got an address, and you cant get an address unless you have a job .....

Well yes, there's an element of 'there but for the grace of God go I',
but you have to question why there are so many people on the street these days and is it fair or even feasible to give money to everyone who stops you.

[quote author="sodderboy"]Could I please add a translation request for "Turf Accountant"?
I was musing tax collector, tax assessor, or accountant for a landscaping firm?
Mike[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmaker

The NYC equivalent was "Street News" which I haven't seen in a while. Before Nazi Giuliani had all the homeless killed, it was everywhere.

[quote author="rodabod"]Knock Knock.

Who's there?

Biggish.

Biggish Who?

Sorry mate. Haven't got any change.[/quote]

Haha. Just when I thought I had heard them all... :green:

Back