Rode NT-5 matched set

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoucette

Anyone get some chances to use these? for the price I hear they are a really nice addition to your mic collection.. i was thinking of getting a pair, anyone recommend them or have other similar recommendations? Id like neumann KM84's but the budgets a little less than what those cost

I've been using a set for two years, not bad at all, great over percussion and
also pretty cool for acoustic gtr etc.
Well worth the money.
MM.

Well, they ain't no km184's, THATS for sure. Not entirely unuseable, but on the bright side. Like in an unbalanced way. Not as bad as mxl's but don't expect it to be a Neumann replacement. Have you tried ATM450's? A little bit more money but way more balanced curve.

the 450's are side address correct? Might make placement a little stranger for some micing positions, ill check em out though, thanks

I absolutely hated the NT-5s but I could have had a bad pair. I gave them a run on a large 3 week session and tried them on almost everything including piano, acoustic, percussion, drums, room mics, strings. I was short mics and really needed to use them but they were so awful on everything that they didn't get used.

Lots of people seem to like them though. The only thing they have in common with a KM84 is that they are also microphones - that's where it ends. I tried mine about 5 years so they could be a very different mic now. YMMV etc.

Cheers,
Ruairi

thats honestly the first time ive heard of people not liking them at all.. not saying your opinion doesnt count though. I always look for criticisms over praises. I understand they are no where near a replacement for the 84's, but i can get my hands on a pair brand new through a pro discount for like 320 bucks.. probably worth it right? Just to have em..

Funny thing is, ive been using a pair of Avlex CI33's for the longest time.. really affordable mics and remarkably pretty good sounding. I tried them up against a pair of C451's and another pair of mics I cant remember what they were called but along the same price line of the C451's and I preferred the Avlex's.. I still have them but unfortunately one started making noise after it fell off a mic stand and i dont think they make these anymore. I see CI35's but not 33's.

Oh well. Maybe i can DIY it and fix it haha

[quote author="ruairioflaherty"]I absolutely hated the NT-5s but I could have had a bad pair. [/quote]

You didn't have a bad pair. One thing I will say about Rode is that their Quality Control is quite good. That's just what they sound like. Not for everybody.

[quote author="ruairioflaherty"]

The only thing they have in common with a KM84 is that they are also microphones...
[/quote]

Are they? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Never thought something pierces your ears like that would be honored with that word :? :grin: .
Seriously, the only worse thing I ever seen was AKG C1000, and it already should tell you something :razz:

forget which , a sd pair of rodes i tried were a little on the dark side
and uninspiring , made me think they weren't serious at all .
also heard the D power module that was quite noisey

ive changed my mind, im gonna look at a pair of those Peluso CEMC6 mics as a matched pair. MSRP 760 and i can get a good discount. plus they are interchangeable capsules and ive heard great reviews on them..

http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/CEMC6SK.html

You'll be way happier with those. Look at some 451's as well. Used they would be in a similar price range.

[quote author="Marik"]Before buying I'd also audition Studio Projects C4 and see which you like more.[/quote]

I find it quite strange that you recommend those, since the C4 capsules and the NT5 capsules are quite similar. In fact they're exchangeable IRRC. The NT5s have a wider bass response which is nice for distant miking but can be on the boomy side at close distances. Apart from that it's quite hard to tell them apart. They're both pretty linear in the upper range. I own a pair of C4s, but I wouldn't mind swapping them for a pair of NT5s - except for the extra omni capsules that I use quite often.

[quote author="Rossi"][quote author="Marik"]Before buying I'd also audition Studio Projects C4 and see which you like more.[/quote]

I find it quite strange that you recommend those, since the C4 capsules and the NT5 capsules are quite similar. In fact they're exchangeable IRRC. The NT5s have a wider bass response which is nice for distant miking but can be on the boomy side at close distances. Apart from that it's quite hard to tell them apart. They're both pretty linear in the upper range. I own a pair of C4s, but I wouldn't mind swapping them for a pair of NT5s - except for the extra omni capsules that I use quite often.[/quote]

That was not my experience. I own the C4 and often use the capsules with my own circuit and know it quite well. I tried the NT5 once and it had very thin and piercing sound.
I however gladly admit, there was a possibility there might have been something wrong with that particular mic.

Best, M

[quote author="Marik"]Seriously, the only worse thing I ever seen was AKG C1000, and it already should tell you something :razz:[/quote]

:green: The C1000's were the worst microphones that I have ever used. I've never used these particular Rodes, but I can't say that I have ever heard a Rode that I liked. Thin and piercing seems to be a trend with them.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back