Should I build a Gssl to replace my two DBX 160A ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory Pecary

I actually use a pair of 160A on the master bus and I am wondering if a Gssl would make a big difference.

I am sorry to ask this boring question but , since I am addicted to DIY, money is running low and I can not afford to built another gear just for fun.:?

Thanx for your help.

Greg

I've used 160's on individual tracks/instruments but never on the master bus.
I don't know if it was intended for that purpose ?
A GSSL with Turbo board will give you "that" SSL glue the mix sound and will
be a very worthwhile project.
They are not expensive to make and use no hard to find parts, so I say go
for it.
Your mixes will thank you !! ... I love mine BTW :)

Marty.

I second what MartyMart said. I built two GSSL clones with the turbo boards and couldn't be happier with them.

Cheers,
--
Don

[quote author="Baltimore"]yeah, build a GSSL and put those 160As where they belong...on kick drum and bass guitar![/quote]
... or the garbage (sorry couldn't resist). Honestly, my experiences with the 160A/X/XT have not been good. I could never get them to sound "right." When mixing, I'm trying to get from point A to point B (or whatever is in my head). I could never get there with the 160A/X/XT.

I like and do use the GSSL, but I use it sparingly. I rarely use the GSSL on my 2-buss... just on a drum buss or more often in some sort of parallel compression. Squish squish.

I'm with Greg, I don't really like my GSSL on the 2 buss, but it's awesome for heavy compression on drum subs and room mics. I never thought that it sounded like the consoles I've used. I'm planning to build a second one with the turbo option and some VCA's from an SSL 4000, as I understand it, this should be pretty spot on. If you are going to build one for use on the stereo buss, I'd recommend the turbo option and the sidechain filter. Without them it just doesn't do the "magic" IMHO

Back