Hot and Crackling Power Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tablebeast

I have been reworking this amp I bought on ebay but once I fired it up not all the tubes heaters were glowing and the power transformer was making a crackling sound. I turned the amp off right away and the Power Transformer which was on for not even a minute was extremely hot to the touch. I pulled the rectifier tube and then all the tubes to check voltages on the secondaries and they were really low, plus the same crackling sound and hot transformer occurred. Do I have a bad transformer here? Bad ground? What do I need to check to know for sure it is a shot transformer and not something I screwed up? Thanks in advance.

Jesse

probably internally shorted but you never know... it came from EBay

Worst case replace it with a antek toroid unless space and weight would be a problem.

Look around Geofex there is a transformer tester circuit there

Well, I ordered a replacement transformer for the amp and it fired up just fine. The transformer was indeed shot it seems. I will now be taking it apart to see what the failure is. How easy is it to fix broken transformers? Thanks for all the help.

Back