STC 4108 Valve Condenser Mic Connector Query

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodabod

Just picked this up. I need to make a power supply, but was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what type of connector the mic might use? I thought it might be a Gross Tuchel, but I'm doubtful. It says "F&E" on the socket itself.

For those interested in the mic, it uses an AC701K and a transistor buffer stage.

Here are some photos:

stc1cu4.jpg

stc2nq0.jpg

Do you mean another shot of the bottowm of the connector?

There is also a picture of the plug in this datasheet:

http://www.coutant.org/stc/4108/4108.pdf

[quote author="rodabod"]Do you mean another shot of the bottowm of the connector?
[/quote]

:thumb:

Roddy so you wound up getting that mic. I was looking at it too ! A bargain !

What I did with the 2 C28's I aquired (which look like they have a similar connector to that) is fit an XLR in it's place. It is quite easy to do so that it's reversable.

Maybe a bit more tricky on that mic because of its diameter !!

Rob, did you manage to find an actual mic socket, or did you use a standard panel-mount socket?

If I can find an actual mic socket then I may give it a try. Even a Tuchel would be better as then I could find a plug somewhere.

Roddy,

I used a standard panel mount xlr, but not the D type ones where the hole size is the same for male & female. If you use the old style the male sockets are a lot narrower in diameter.

I then got a friend of mine who has a lathe to turn down the mounting flange so it is about 2mm. I then found that the whole assembly would fit in the hole, left when you remove the original plug form the mic. If there is no grub screw to retain the assembly just drip a bit of candle wax in the hole and force the socket in. You will find it is quite secure & obviously it is possible to reverse if you manage to find the right plug.

One other thing. Be VERY careful not to over voltage the filament on the AC701k. I found that out at great cost to myself !!!

That looks somewhat like the Cannon P series stuff found (I think) on the WE 640AA condenser mic. STC being an offshoot, did use WE connectors on some things like the 4038. Can't say for sure though; maybe it's a lead.

Thanks. I found this info. regarding Cannon P-type connectors, although they don't appear to be threaded like mine.

type-p.jpg

Cheers,

Roddy

I know the P's are made in up to at least 6 pins, and several spacing variations on a few of them too. May or may not be related.

I think you migt be right, Doug. I just noticed that some of them don't have the XLR-style clip lock, so maybe there are threaded versions too.

I see that pin configuration in the P series, 1955 Cannon catalog.

Here's the current stuff, but I don't see that pin configuration.

http://www.amphenol.com.au/Amphenol_Metal_EP.html

Guys, here's a photo of the plug which I need (the one with the brown insert)  :

21agz8k.jpg

Does that look like an Amphenol military connector to anyone?

rodabod said:
Does that look like an Amphenol military connector to anyone?

Hi Roddy,

That looks like Standard-K, originally ITT-Cannon, available from PEI-Genesis (UK) Ltd.

http://www.peigenesis.com/itt-cannon-connectors.html#standardK

Dan

Latest posts

Back