Daft question about a drill press and hole cutting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have a nice drill press and hole cutters which work really nice on alumunium plate up to 3.00mmm thick
I am now drilling holes in 1mm aluminium boxes
These are the sort that have look like this...
http://maplin.co.uk/images/Full/1728i0.jpg

Problem is I can't figure a way of drilling the holes as I can;t lay the box down flat...
I can;t seem to explain this well - but imagine you have got a box and you want to drill holes in the non-removable front and back panel and you can only take the top of...
And the height of the front and back panel isn't long enough to get under the drill press's chuck....

I can't seem to think straight on this...

Ahh... that's what I thought

I hope this drawing can explain

This what the drill press looks like...

xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxx.........x<... drill and chuck
xxxx.........x
xxxx.........x
xxxx.........x
xxxx
xxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx<... drill ledge thingie...
xxxx
xxxx
xxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Now this is the box on it's edge with the top removed ....

xxxxx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
xxxxx

I need XLRs and noles but on the two edges of the box

I cannot slide the box onto the drill press ledge as it's not big enough (th drill press drill only comes to about a cms into the box)..
i.e. the actual height of the box is not enough to get the middle of the panel under the drill bit....

I have actually folded the two end panels flat drilled them then tried to fold them back... big mistake - not enought strength left in the panel to go back due to all the holes in it... had to cut it off and bolt it on...

It is possible on some table top drill presses to swing the drill around so it
is essentially backward to the base, may have to loosen a few bolts as well on the table/work support. then support the box on a sawhorse or something

Try Quemax punches and a hand drill for the pilot hole.
Bit expensive but the best way I have found.
Andy.

Latest posts

Back