the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re: wimas
--so the parts list indicates values of capacitance/voltage/tolerance

is there any info for lead spacing or are there no options for this?

[quote author="emrr"][quote author="flintan"]Ok, thanks! Is the two windings just soldered to the centertap lug? Then it would be quite easy. :grin: [/quote]

yes they are

But on second thought, i wonder if the Edcor windings are close enough matched for this type of application..

if they are close enough to be useful at all, they should do the trick. Maybe not ideal, but close enough for a PM. You could always go with an appropriate $$$ transformer set instead.[/quote]

For now it have to make it a poorman cause i can't afford the 350 GBP that is the cost of only the signal amp transformers, it's about as much as the entire PM project...

But i think i will try to separate the CT windings on the Edcors and then hook up som nice relay boards next to it and see how it works. Not that i'm going to make LP masters but it would be cool to have this M/S or lat./vert. option since it was (as far as i've understood) one of the main features from the start.

Wima Info

1.5uf/63v 5mm LS - TAW # MKS2 155J63
.22uf/63v 5mm LS - TAW # MKS2 224K63
.1uf/63v 5mm LS - TAW # MKS2 104J63
.1uf/630v 22mm LS - TAW # MKS4 104J630
10uf/250v 37.5mm LS - TAW # MKP4 106K250?

The person I spoke to at TAW is Laura. Let her know you are from Prodigyand she will take care of you. My stuff came in at half (or less) Mouser's prices.
<her name here>[at]tawelectronics[dot]com

Ok, I went to through the thread just to make sure the question hasn't been answered (probably has but...) I also checked the schematic and BOM.

So far this has been a really easy stuffin'

Questions for stereo unit:

PM board -- optional cap value?
PM PSU for stereo use -- Q4 IRF820 and Q5 IRF840
(if you were making a mono unit you could use IRF820 for both Q4 & Q5)

correct?

Attack (Time Constant)

I tried searching but couldn't find what I need.

OK... the Original unit has 6 settings but the PM670 calls for a 10k Pot.

#1 - What should the taper be (if a pot is used)?

#2 - If a Switch is used... what were the resistance values of the original 6 settings?
Tat's cases have the 6 settings on the faceplate... so whoever is using his cases will also want to know because the POT will surely not match the 6 settings.

Thanks

i understood its a 5 x 2K resistors (linear) switch...(e.g 2 x 6 lorlin or alpha)

so , first step no resistence and the other 5 sums to 10K.

volker or analag will confirm....

[quote author="khstudio"]Attack (Time Constant)

OK... the Original unit has 6 settings but the PM670 calls for a 10k Pot.

#1 - What should the taper be (if a pot is used)?

#2 - If a Switch is used... what were the resistance values of the original 6 settings?

Thanks[/quote]

The pot should be linear, I believe. It normally is in this application. The 6 positions are only a nod to the original. It has a more complex switching set up for time constants. Compare the schematics and you'll see.

I got everything I have in hand stuffed and soldered today; probably over 70%.

Is "2 x (optional) Electrolytic, min 250V, max ø 12mm" a reference to the 2 unmarked caps next to the power connections on the PM660 board? I assume so, based on the few other Q&A's about them. I measured 2.5 or 5mm lead spacing for both positions.

Voltage is obvious from the B+ rails. Benefits from adding substantial extra capacitance is the question for everyone to consider. They are simply in parallel with the 100 mfd PSU caps exiting the PSU, so it's simply a matter of physical placement. I see you put something that looks like 10 or 20 mfd on the prototype.

I am wondering if the bypass / relay board info should be reposted in this thread; I dug through the D-AOC thread to find it, and it still wasn't concisely described. I don't know that I'll use them, but I'd expect to see a flood of questions about them soon.

[quote author="khstudio"]
Tat's cases have the 6 settings on the faceplate... so whoever is using his cases will also want to know because the POT will surely not match the 6 settings.

Thanks[/quote]

Looks like those who bought those cases will have to use switches then... :roll:

Parts list say: "1 x Potentiometer or Rotary Switch Restistance: 10K ATTACK (TIME CONSTANT)"

I am wondering if the bypass / relay board info should be reposted in this thread; I dug through the D-AOC thread to find it, and it still wasn't concisely described. I don't know that I'll use them, but I'd expect to see a flood of questions about them soon.

Probably best to start another thread (with a Link on page 1 of this thread)

This thread is bound to get pretty long as is.

[quote author="mich"]i understood its a 5 x 2K resistors (linear) switch...(e.g 2 x 6 lorlin or alpha)

so , first step no resistence and the other 5 sums to 10K.

volker or analag will confirm....[/quote]

Thanks man... I'd like to know.

But if this is the case, I think a POT would give better options & more refined control.

[quote author="emrr"]I got everything I have in hand stuffed and soldered today; probably over 70%.
[/quote]

Damn Doug... how long have you had the Boards?
I'm in Jersey & still don't have mine. :sad:

Yeah the stuff goes fast:

pm670.jpg

[quote author="lewilson"]when will I get my boards? Have you send to the USA yet? Thanks[/quote]

Hold on to your briefs man, the chap sent at least 100 packages.

But since you didn't know where to look, it's on the first post in the Black Market for the 660 pcb's. I'll help you and find it for you.

lewilson: 2 / 1 - shipped 04.08.2008*

Mine shipped on 6.8 and my wifie said they showed up today near Portland Oregon.

Don't panic, have patience.

Kaz

[quote author="cannikin"]Yeah the stuff goes fast[/quote]
yes :green:

ATTENTION
you guys are faster than me with the information I want to post ...

don't fire it up without the transformers and controls connected.
if you do you will have a burning resistor in the sidechain amp.
have forgotten which one and don't want to try it again.

will try to post some wiring instructions today.

[quote author="emrr"]Is "2 x (optional) Electrolytic, min 250V, max ø 12mm" a reference to the 2 unmarked caps next to the power connections on the PM660 board? I assume so, based on the few other Q&A's about them. I measured 2.5 or 5mm lead spacing for both positions.[/quote]
totally right. they are not in analags original schematic, but since there was the little space left on the PCBs - can't be wrong.
put in whatever fits, or leave them out, shouldn't matter.
[quote author="emrr"]I am wondering if the bypass / relay board info should be reposted in this thread; I dug through the D-AOC thread to find it, and it still wasn't concisely described. I don't know that I'll use them, but I'd expect to see a flood of questions about them soon.[/quote]
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=26585&start=198 ?
[quote author="khstudio"]Attack (Time Constant)
#1 - What should the taper be (if a pot is used)?[/quote]
linear

So Cannikin can confirm Mouser heatsink #s!!

My boards showed up 8/9. I started stuffing this afternoon. Still more parts to order.

Latest posts

Back