the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howard,

is the bottom side of the photo the front panel ?
personally I have all my power on the other side.

anyway, with the slow start heat PSU placed like you have, make sure to connect the regulator (insulated) to the bottom of the case for heatsinking.

Noted, I can bolt it to the bottom of the case should I also use some heatink compound?
my other question is what value fuse do I need?

thanks

Howard

Gachet, nice frontpanel!  Handwritten with sharpie looks SHARP! especially on the orange background.
I'm copying off you.  I just wish my handwriting were so nice.

RE: sockets

I ordered ceramics but I knew immediately upon opening the box they were not ceramic.
Anybody having a hard time telling the difference, take a steak knife to them. You will know for sure in a second.

Your picture of melting sockets made me wonder, "what would happen if you just left them in?"
Would it really be a problem? It won't get so hat as to melt your solder connections, right?
Why not let all the plastic melt away into a puddle on the PCB. It will probably sound the same, right?  :p

Your picture of melting sockets made me wonder, "what would happen if you just left them in?"
One day it will be melted so much that socket will fall apart, and believe me you don't want to "hear" that. There will be no more sound  ;D Avoid plastic sockets  8)

kato said:
Gachet, nice frontpanel!  Handwritten with sharpie looks SHARP! especially on the orange background.
???
ok but write "threshold" and not "treshold" like I did ;D

Gachet said:
kato said:
???
hehe, pardon my French  ;)

Moby said:
Gachet said:
kato said:
???
hehe, pardon my French  ;)
`
:D It's not you're french...it's my english I made this mistake on my front panel...

Ok I'm considering getting a custom toroid made for the pm670 from a place here in Ireland. Going from the toroids bernbrue had from his group buy:     
      Prim: 2x115V  yellow-white / yellow-white
      Sek.1: 250V/0,2A
      Sek.2: 9V/6,0A
      Sek.3: 2x15V/2x1,00A
      tx shielding
I presume these specs are exactly what I need? Those toroids were 134VA, is there any point in me getting slightly higher than this?
Oh and possibly a stupid question, but is a 2x115V primary necessary or would a single 220V be okay?

Thanks!
Rob

RAM said:
I presume these specs are exactly what I need? Those toroids were 134VA, is there any point in me getting slightly higher than this?
Oh and possibly a stupid question, but is a 2x115V primary necessary or would a single 220V be okay?

Of course you can use a Toroid with more Power but you don´t need to.
A single 220V prim is ok as long as you don´t use it in the US where you would need the 115V primaries.

A single 220V prim is ok as long as you don´t use it in the US where you would need the 115V primaries.
You can add two primaries 220/230v and that will cover the most mains in Europe. I always do like that because ,mains varies from winter to summer in my area  ;)

Thanks guys!
I'm just trying to think what will be cheapest ;)
But I might end up stretching for multi tapped primaries. The mains where I am are pretty stable. I don't see the unit ever going to america but I might go for a 230V tap as well as the 220V.

Thanks again!
Rob

U welcome  :) BTW, check with dimensions of possibly bigger transformer. It's possible that will occupy a important part of space in the box  ;)

whats the maths for working out the heater res ? I have not done this before not very good on the theory side of stuff.

regards

skal

It's based on the Ohm's law but you have to know exact heater consumption. Why you bother with that? It's much easier to go with regulated heater supply http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=30642.0

Or if you don't want it regulated use something like this for R15, that emrr suggested to me(thanks again!):
http://ie.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=ecf2eIk0DojJWcSH%252bYlZdg==

Rob

Hey,
Just a quick question: I bought from banzai 4 ceramic's sockets and 4 Plastic ones for my PM670' tubes. Is important that all the tubes mounted on the ceramic ones or the 68C8 gets that hot too?? I just realize I bought the ceramic ones only for the 5687 ones...
Thanks for the help!

Eddie  ;D

rrs said:
RE: Codered's Avell Lindberg Toroid.

Now that they have arrived I just want to be sure on how to wire it. Here's the colour code.
http://picasaweb.google.com/edcor670/AvelLindbergPM670ToroidalTransformer#

Deciphering this stuff is not my strong point  ::)

Expecialy the primarys I usualy only have 2 wires to worry about.

So far I have worked out.

Orange and White go to the Rectifier
The 2 Black go to AC
Green to Ground
Red and yellow go to AC250 (does it matter which of the two)?

;D

SaMpLeGoD said:
Hey,
Just a quick question: I bought from banzai 4 ceramic's sockets and 4 Plastic ones for my PM670' tubes. Is important that all the tubes mounted on the ceramic ones or the 68C8 gets that hot too?? I just realize I bought the ceramic ones only for the 5687 ones...
Thanks for the help!

Eddie  ;D

Hey, could anyone help me with this above? please.. is just a question!
Thankssss

Eddie,

Just put in ALL ceramics... why not? Do you REALLY want to being desoldering a plastic, melted socket from a Double Sided PCB just to save a few bucks? Time and time again it has been stated here that ceramic sockets are to be used. There, question answered.... look at the pics in this thread of what this valves do to plastic sockets... and that was over a SHORT time span... what about 10-15 years from now under daily use? Ceramic, ceramic, ceramic ;D

Matt

SaMpLeGoD said:
Hey, could anyone help me with this above? please.. is just a question!
Thankssss

Eddie  ;D

My PM670 is working now, and I can say :
Definitively ceramic sockets everywhere !!! All the tubes are getting really hot !!!

Latest posts

Back