the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SaMpLeGoD said:
The comp is preety clear, but I need to feel the compression, maybe is a bad habit, hehehe, but I move the threshold in this comp and it sound like lowering the volume, I don´t really feel the compression acting... maybe with your mod I'll start to feel this... hope so!  :-\
Analag's network is really interresting because you don't feel much compression effect even when you compress a lot... Some poeple like, some others don't...
With my mod you can have more possibilities of attack/release and so more earable compression effects if you want. But a varimu comp is always natural when compressing...

For stereo mode, only the input setting can be different ( to adjust the volume of a bad balanced signal ) and the threshold should be the same on both channels...

dagoose said:
I'm in the middle of building this beast (can't wait to finish it) but i have one question about the zener diodes.
i have ordered zener diodes at RS and i'm not sure if they are the right one's and before i stick 'm on board i wanted to make sure.

RS pn. 625-6518,  100V Zener diode,1N5378B 5W
RS pn. 812-538,  20V Zener diode,BZX85C20 1.3W

Will these do the job or do i need other zeners? I'm pretty new to zener diodes so i'm not sure..

nobody?  :eek:

dagoose said:
dagoose said:
I'm in the middle of building this beast (can't wait to finish it) but i have one question about the zener diodes.
i have ordered zener diodes at RS and i'm not sure if they are the right one's and before i stick 'm on board i wanted to make sure.

Will these do the job or do i need other zeners? I'm pretty new to zener diodes so i'm not sure..

AFAIK breakdown voltage is all that matters...do the test and see for yerself  ;)

http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/index_tj.asp?objID=ENG6903

Thanks Volker and Laurent! Looking forward to apply the Scamp mod... I really want ot hear some compression effect ;)
Cheers,

Eddie :)

radiance said:
dagoose said:
dagoose said:

AFAIK breakdown voltage is all that matters...do the test and see for yerself  ;)

http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/index_tj.asp?objID=ENG6903
OK, so i'm save using 'm if i look at it like that..
Thanks!

A new pm670 will be born soon.  8)

Just wondering, what resistor values did everybody use here for the time constant switch?

I have allready made the uraltone swithes en modified them to 21 steps which is not really easy to do.
I will try to post pics of where i drilled a hole and put in a 1.5mm copper wire as a stopper. Works like a charm and you don't have to open up anything.  8)

Meters came in today (the retro sifam's), tubes are in and the boards are stuffed for 95% now can't wait to hear it!
Still need to think about the frontpanel, not sure if i go for lasertran (cheap and fast) or engraving (expensive, better but slower)
I only had 2 DOA XSM600/10k's, waiting for a response from Tony now..  :-[

dagoose said:
Just wondering, what resistor values did everybody use here for the time constant switch?

I have allready made the uraltone swithes en modified them to 21 steps which is not really easy to do.
I will try to post pics of where i drilled a hole and put in a 1.5mm copper wire as a stopper. Works like a charm and you don't have to open up anything.  8)

Meters came in today (the retro sifam's), tubes are in and the boards are stuffed for 95% now can't wait to hear it!
Still need to think about the frontpanel, not sure if i go for lasertran (cheap and fast) or engraving (expensive, better but slower)
I only had 2 DOA XSM600/10k's, waiting for a response from Tony now..  :-[

Nobody? Topic is a bit resting i guess..

dagoose said:
nothing is resting, but I'm tired to say:
choose the suggested stock values.
if you are unhappy you can do experiments.
why always mod before heard ? ???

[silent:arts] said:
dagoose said:

I don't want to mod this thing.. i want to keep it stock.. ok.. ordered the 'modboard' but i'm not even sure if i'm going to use it, if i'm happy with what i hear it's cool for me.
The thing is, i don't see the stock values for the time constant anyware or do i miss something here?  :-[

dagoose said:
... The thing is, i don't see the stock values for the time constant anyware or do i miss something here?  :-[

RV7 on the schematic, 10K lin pot. if you want 6 steps switched use 5 x 2K resistors.

OK, thanks! That was what i was looking for.. couldn't be more simple, i was thinking way more difficult.

dagoose said:
That's why I made the board to have a "Stock" mode  ;)... It is working really well stock... This is also why I designed the mod to be easily reversed into stock PM670...  :)

nothing wrong Lolo,
I like the enthusiasms you put in your boards and in this project.
should order one PCB too, just to support it.

Shouldn't somebody send me one...really?

analag

analag said:
nothing wrong Lolo,
I like the enthusiasms you put in your boards and in this project.
should order one PCB too, just to support it.

Shouldn't somebody send me one...really?

analag

analag and [Silent:arts]: if you're interrested in mod boards, just PM me or e-mail me with your address, I would be glad to offer one to you  ;D ! Without you this project wouldn't be what it is !
Thank you again and again !

lolo-m said:
analag and [Silent:arts]: if you're interrested in mod boards, just PM me or e-mail me with your address, I would be glad to offer one to you  ;D ! Without you this project wouldn't be what it is !
Thank you again and again !

I'm just messing around...I already have the PoorMan II.

analag

hoha ;D
let me first finish the EQ ... :eek:
too busy times ...

official announcement:
I hired some server space yesterday, to do a web shop for all this wonderful projects.
group buys are always too limited in time, and this would give a mostly permanent availability of the PCBs and may be some hard to get parts.

sad thing is: setting this up costs some time which could be used in designing PCBs and building prototypes ...

Ive got my poorman working , A few bugs to work out still.
Also Im reading a max of about -12 volts for control voltage with full compresion, is this correct?  Many thanks

Back