the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moby said:
No need to insulate 337/317 if they are not on the same heatsink, same with Q1. here's the link
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsQtlBhqKq43cWWDPGVV2IS
but since it is cheap it doesn't hurt either ;)

I got my PM660 to pass audio, but  it's still not compressing, when then Time Constant is in position 6 the needle on the VU drops into range and it will move a little, the gain switch seems to work, the threshold has little effect though.

The power has been on for about half an hour and now the needle is going up and down all on it's own.

I just want to make sure, the trimmers RV3=-2.4V and RV6=-4.5V? and these measurements are taken off pin two (center pin or whiper) of the trimmers? I have them both turned all the way down and I am getting -.005V and I can't get it any lower.

My anoart is  act up , for some reason the bass is rolled of and when compressing it is only acting on the snare .

Has anybody got an idea about what could be causing this

skal1

i think the low end is being filtered out some how i know this because  when in bypass the bass is there its mad..

skal1

here it is! another living poorman!  ;D

pm-1.jpg

pm-2.jpg

pm-3.jpg

I had it nearly finished on the bench for about 1.5 months.. i had to wait about that time for 2 DOA edcors to arrive :(
But i got 'm in today and so i finished it and it's doing a great, smooth job and so far i'm happy with it.
Panel is done with lasertran and a smooth lacauer for wooden floors painted with a brush to give it an old skool look and i think it worked out great! If you see it in real live it's really cool and 'white wash'.  ;D

Some minor issues, i can't get the heater voltages higher then about 5,9 volt, without tubes they go up higher but with all tubes in both boards read the same voltage. anyone?
I also have to add some resistance in parallel with the meter null pot, it's hard to zero it now though an exiting to get it at exactly 0 now... whehehe

Thanks for this great project guys!  :-*

COOOOOOLLLL  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
another one is born.
great work, and the first one I see with the moby heater PSU.

don't worry about 5,9 volt heaters, this is not nice on the paper but fine in practice.

have to edit the first post ...

Great job! Whats your source for those meters ?(e-parts?)
Having build both D-AOC and poorman...how do they compare according to you? (I've asked bernbrue as well but would like to know your thoughts...)

Some minor issues, i can't get the heater voltages higher then about 5,9 volt, without tubes they go up higher but with all tubes in both boards read the same voltage. anyone?
Well it's not a problem at all but please tell me does the voltage drops in front of Slow start PCB or just after?

Moby said:
Well it's not a problem at all but please tell me does the voltage drops in front of Slow start PCB or just after?

ok, have to check that.. both boards have about the same max voltage but without tubes it's easy to get 6.3v with the trimmer about 50% open.
I think it's a load thing?
Now that i think about it.. could be the regulator, it's running quite hot and i think with only one board running (the missing trafo's) i had 6.3v.
ok.. time for some checking this weekend.  ;D

radiance said:
Great job! Whats your source for those meters ?(e-parts?)
Having build both D-AOC and poorman...how do they compare according to you? (I've asked bernbrue as well but would like to know your thoughts...)

I got 'm at canford http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/58-379-SIFAM-AUDIO-LEVEL-METER-AL20SQ-Retro
Not like really 'cheap' but i think it was worth it.

I haven't really seriously played with it but a quick comapre says me that the poorman in more like a smoother compressor then the d-aoc, that one can do it's job and you will actually hear it and the poorman does it's job 'unheared' But like i said, i didn't give it a serious listen. I will make some AB tests with both units if i have the time.

Moby said:
I had this kind of problem in mine even if I don't use your design (I use standard LM350 based heater PSU)... I increased the filtering caps ( x 2 ) to get enough capacity to handle the 5,2 A constant feed... I did a few other mods and the ripple is still there on the output but I minimized it... The problem was that I could ear the hum caused by the heaters...

Moby said:
Are U sure that transformer is not saturating? That's why I asked about drop before regulator  :-\
On mine I've got 9V DC after the caps, with a sawtooth of minimum 2 V peak to peak centered on this 9V DC... It doesn't look like a transformer saturation but more like a caps I use are not strong enough... Anyway, 5.2A is a real strong current and it's constant... Nothing appear to be wrong but LM350 seam to need more than 2V in/out to work correctly... Don't know for 338.

Latest posts

Back