the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ordered some nylon screws and spacers to that the compressor board will be isolated from the case ground, that seems to have solved the problem.

OK here is my ugly duckling

S6000112.jpg

S6000113.jpg

skal1

pix are on the way, I have a bit of work still to do, I am waiting for some nylon screws and washers to come so I can get it all bolted down.

Hey guys.

My PM670 is 99% Done... really.
- but I'm not sure what size FUSE I should install before firing it up.

I'll be posting Pics VERY Soon.  ;D

OK... got it fired up & no smoke.  :)

Question #1
With ALL tubes installed, using the EDCORE TX, & a .47 ohm 50w resistor for the Heater:
I'm only getting about 3.7 volts on the heater lugs.
It measured about 11.9vDC before - (no tubes)

This seems very low, NO?

::::::::::EDIT:::::::::::
OK, My heater Voltages came up... When I build TUBE gear, I always use a Light bulb in series with the power at 1st power-up for safety... when I disconnected the bulb, the voltages went up, so that's cool.

ALL other voltages look good.

Question #2
The Trimmer Voltages:
RV6  = -2.4v & RV3 = -4.5v ... but where is the best place to measure these?

RV6 is easier it seems... I measured it at R17 (one side of the 221k resistor) is this correct?

But RV3 is harder with the PCB's installed?
Let me get this straight... is the voltage supposed to be measured @ the wiper of RV3 or is it the voltage coming out of Q1 - to the junction of the 330r resistors ??? (the Cathode resistors for the 6BC8's)

Nice shots!I love the "ugly" one!
Hey AW_music , what sifam did you use on your PM?I think I got a pair of them too , but didn't know if I have mods to do to use them.
Thanks.

Question #2
The Trimmer Voltages:

Measure between pin 2 and ground.

Cheers,
--
Don

Hi Don,
That's the obvious answer but with the PCB mounted you can't get to the wiper = Pin 2.
The Trimmer Voltages:

RV6 is easier it seems... I measured it at R17 (one side of the 221k resistor) is this correct?

But RV3 is harder with the PCB's installed?
Let me get this straight... is the voltage supposed to be measured @ the wiper of RV3 or is it the voltage coming out of Q1 - to the junction of the 330r resistors Huh (the Cathode resistors for the 6BC8's)

radiance said:
khstudio said:
WOW!!!!!
those tubes, Rectifier & Heater Resistor get HOT!!!!!!!  :eek:

again, WOW.

I think in my current room without AC I can only use this compressor during winter time  :(

I was afraid of that... my control room gets too hot already. I think I should drill some more holes in my case & possibly add
a heat sink to the Regulator.

khstudio said:
That's the obvious answer but with the PCB mounted you can't get to the wiper = Pin 2.

Which is why I ran small wires from the wipers out to test points.  Even though it's not a frequent adjustment, I figured it would be easier to add test points during the build process to make setting those a snap.

Cheers,
--
Don

idylldon said:
khstudio said:

Which is why I ran small wires from the wipers out to test points.  Even though it's not a frequent adjustment, I figured it would be easier to add test points during the build process to make setting those a snap.

Cheers,
--
Don
Good idea... I was wondering when I saw your pics what they were for.

Your unit is very cool BTW.

Thanks,
Kevin

khstudio said:
idylldon said:
khstudio said:

Cheers,
--
Don
Good idea... I was wondering when I saw your pics what they were for.

Your unit is very cool BTW.

Thanks,
Kevin

Another solution is to get the voltage on the proper leg of R17 and to get the other on the Base leg of Q1. That's what I do. But be carefull, don't shake, don't move or you'll maybe make some sparks  :'( !!!

Latest posts

Back