My latest work...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissugar

I just thought to post my latest work, an album that was done almost exclusively with DIY gear (except mics, DAW and AD/DA conversions).
Processing with lots of DIY outboard, analog mixing (with the DIY yellow bus mixer) to a very fine DIY tuned Studer analog recorded (15Ips).
Mastering also with my DIY gear.

The only thing I am not very happy about, is the fact that the band and manager were interested to have a final product with a similar distorted sound and RMS level like the band Franz Ferdinand. :shock: There was distortion processing on the voice tracks :grin: :twisted:
So for the first time in my mastering career, I sinned and pushed the level to absurd values like -7, -8dB RMS. But if you listen to the not very loud parts you can hear that there is some dynamics even with that crapy myspace data compression. :grin:

It looks like the album will be released in UK in the not so distant future.
I really like the mood of "Lights out".

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=169113703

chrissugar

[quote author="maxheadroom"]have you any DIY reverb gear used?[/quote]

No, but believe it or not, the only digital reverb/delay processor used on this album was this 30 years old machine:
http://www.sevenwoodsaudio.com/SST282_History.htm
And not because of lack of other digital units (lexicon, eventide, ensoniq, roland, yamaha).
Of course, some track were recorded back processed in the DAW.

chrissugar

[quote author="skipwave"]Nice work Christian!

Great guitar sounds. Care to share what mic/preamp combinations were used?[/quote]

Royer 121 and Neve pre.

chrissugar

Nice. I should have known, those Royers sound incredible. I've been using a pair at school and I wish I could take them on a "field trip" to do my own projects with them.

Agreed about "Light's Out." Reminds me of the better songs by Interpol.

Latest posts

Back