Neumann W492 equalizer DIY project (PCB docs added)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is information about Neumann W492 knobs. As far as I know these are the order codes for the type used in the original equalizer. Codes are from Ritel catalogue, but is a good idea to check them from the distributor before ordering anything.

Knob 10mm, standard finish, with line, black, 4mm shaft
order code: 2110403

Cap 10mm, standard finish, with line, red
order code: 3010014

Cap 10mm, standard finish, with line, yellow
order code: 3010016

Cap 10mm, standard finish, with line, green
order code: 3010017

Cap 10mm, standard finish, with line, blue
order code: 3010015

www.ritel.ch

Marty: If you are planning groupbuy, Ritel has distributor in UK:

Bulgin Components PLC
Spilsby Road
Romford
Essex
RM3 8SB UK
Great Britain

Phone: +44 (0)1708 343 800
Fax: +44 (0)1708 376 544
e-mail: [email protected]
web: www.buglin.co.uk

[quote author="audiox"]Here is information about Neumann W492 knobs. As far as I know these are the order codes for the type used in the original equalizer. Codes are from Ritel catalogue, but is a good idea to check them from the distributor before ordering anything[/quote]
all knobs I have on my (original) Neumann gear are from Elma ...
(but Ritel looks very similar on their homepage)

I have seen some (older) Neumann units with Elma knobs too. But W492 equalizers that I have seen had Ritel knobs. Also in W492 brochure there are Ritel knobs.

never mind, they look very similar.
take whatever is cheaper.
Elma is availabe in single orders from Farnell and Schuricht, but they are expensive there :roll:

12 units built & tested. All work fine! (Actually I have one more than I need so it is possible that i sell it.)

Some measurements (all filters off):
THD: 0,002% @ 1 kHz
Noise: -95 dBu (BW=20 kHz)
Frequency response: -0,1 dB (20 Hz - 20 kHz)

I will soon write some intructions how to adjust the 4 trimmer resistors.

New document added about adjusting the trimmer resistors:

http://audioxxx.googlepages.com/W492_trimmer_adjustment.pdf

Talked before.

Boards are double sided with plated holes, so it is practically impossible to make them at home.

You can use any conductive plastic potentiometer. Manual wiring is of cource needed with those types that don't fit mechanically on the pcb. Carbon potentiometers are not recommended. They start to scratch quite soon because the circuit is dc coupled.

Transformer can be quite small. Current consumption of the eq is about 70 mA per channel.

Switches are SPDT (simple one pole on/off switches). See the wiring diagram.

"conductive plastic potentiomenters" where can i get some in germany=? its okay if they dont fit on the pcb..

Does someone know of a company that stocks and sells the sfernice p11 with the special request for inter liniarity?

Any one look into Omeg for the pots?

Conductive plastic track giving a life of 20x103 cycles (or over twice the life of carbon tracks) I think they will work.

http://www.omeg.co.uk/pce16brc.htm

1ecopot5.gif

http://www.omeg.co.uk/e2ge16bc.htm

2geco.gif

Kevin

Would wire wound pots do? Reichelt has 10k 4W wire pots @ € 2.50 apiece. No duals, though.

Latest posts

Back