Neumann W492 equalizer DIY project (PCB docs added)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone fancy a group buy on the pots for these? Im looking at the sfernice from Audio Maintenance. Personally, I would like centre idents for the gain, but not the frequency!

As Im building 2 (for now!) I need 8 of each type already. If there is a requirement for 7 more sets of these, we get the pots for around £5-6 each, instead of £7-8!!

Mo

Hi,
  I'd be interested, I purchased two sets of PCbs from Gustav about 6 months ago and am just finishing up another G9 and a Dual GSSL, would like this to be my next project. Maybe the price break would be enough to cover shipping cost to U.S.

Sfernice are way too much expensive.
I've got the pcb but this project will never see the light...

instead I'm lurking on the studer eq also by audiox...waiting for Gustav...

Alas Im in the UK, so I fear I shall be ordering the bits and bobs elsewhere, as shipping will probably scupper the deal... Im sure I can find the Omegs over here though!!

Mo

Cool!! Nothing like good ol' fashioned customer service! Seems to have died a death in the uk tho... I've dropped her an email, so we shall see!!

Mo

hi!
i'm building some W492! i bought pots from Taw, Laura is really cool!
i'd like to know if someone did a front panel with Laura pots? because it's not the same dimension as sfernice ones...

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=34576.0

Hi Adrian , scroll down , you'll find all the dimensions I used with mine.This is not a front pannel but only the dimensions...

regarding changing the range of frequencies, how are those frequency values derived? Looking at the low shelf, for example, has a lower frequency range of 50 hz. On the curves graph, 50 hz seems to be at the -6db point of the peak of the curve. Is this how it is measured? I'm interested in extending the range of the frequency bands and using them in a stepped configuration. Any ideas?
Thanks
Ian

Search "turnover frequency".

Equations for those circuits can be found in any filter book. If you dont' like math, simulate.

buschfsu said:
also the pots were 3mm vs 6.
Just so no one gets the wrong knobs:  The Omegs have 4mm spindles, same as the Vishays.

There are a couple of dimension differences between these and the Vishays. One is pin spacing, and the other IIRC is spindle height (from PCB). The first is a small issue if that and the second is a non issue if you design your own faceplate.  Just do as Audiox suggests and mount the pots to the faceplate before you solder them to the boards, to avoid unnecessary stress.

Hi there !

I'm planning to build the eq's in a 2RU high box. Do I MUST solder the 10k pots on the pcb or can I wire them with twisted cables to fit on my special "big version" of the project ?

Thanks for your comments & suggestions...

Back