Neumann W492 equalizer DIY project (PCB docs added)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buschfsu said:
guys i need some help...

i have a pair of these eqs ready for the purusha case i bought.  problem is these omeg pots are not going to work with this case.  i need the sfernice pots.  so the omegs are for sale and i need the others.  audiomaintenance has them but they come out to 240$$$ usd...ouch.  anyone know of a better price on these in the us?

thanks

Non Tat case maybe?

I'm in the same boat... The omeg's were priced right, but in the end it's the downfall if you want them in a 1U.  I think it's best to suck it up and pay Collin or drop the case.

I'm eventually am going to just pay Collin once I get around to having some extra money, plus I already have the correct knobage...

I was thinking of doing some chiclets for this exact reason.  I don't have a purusha case, but I want this in a 1U and the original faceplate layout Audiox posted is very nice and symmetric.  Anyway, you can see an example of what I mean below (except I don't want to wire them, I want to make longer chiclets extending (above or below) the EQ PCB so they connect to the original solder pads with solidcore wire or leftover pieces of thicker leads).

http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/motm/chiclets.html

Haven't done any measurements yet, but think this might work?

That's what I thought too.  I thought to do them iso-routed somewhere locally instead of etching (I only need 2-4 channels), but if there was interest we could just get them done at a fabhouse for pretty cheap. Or send out to oen of those ebay PCB houses.

good find busch. here are the adapter boards I was thinking about. I actually had thought of doing it iso-routed since there is a business that could do that for me, and it would save me cutting up a boatload of boards. Ideally they'd be FR4 but I don't want to inhale fiberglass dust, so phenolic is more likely.  The only real problem with iso routing is doing the panelizing in Corel or something in a way that it doesn't take the router an hour to do, (longer continuous horizontal runs, less up/down movement...).

For now, I need to print and check that the thing fits.

Attachments

• adaptapot.png
    adaptapot.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 59
Hi All,
        buschfsu - I was looking at those on ebay, but I wasnt sure if they could be used - still too much of a noob  ::)

But I also ran in to this today - http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35422.new;topicseen#new 

I've had the PCBs from gustav for a year now, just getting around to gathering up parts

Hey guys. I sent of my front panels to be engraved yesterday and was double checking my front panel numbers so I did sweeps of one of my channels. They are on exactly with the curves that audiox published, if nothing else this is a very clean looking eq.

I posted them on my blog:
http://blog.benlindell.com/?p=102

Also anyone that may be using my front panel design with the OMEG pots, I just updated it, the scale was off by 30 degrees, I misread the omeg datasheet. I have the updated AI file here:

http://benlindell.com/diy/W492%20to%20Laser2.ai
Picture:
W492-to-Laser2.jpg

benlindell said:
I did sweeps of one of my channels. They are on exactly with the curves that audiox published, if nothing else this is a very clean looking eq.

What is the analyzer software that you are have used for the plots? Freeware?

Yea I used Fuzzmeasure. Works great for this stuff, lets use the 96k sampling rate and sweep upto 40khz.

I'm working on a quick tutorial on how to use it for testing gear, their manual doesn't really explicitly say how to use it this way.

RedNoise said:
Keith 9k psu works great for me ... Is it what you call a "ready to go" ???

Is this the same 9K PSU board available from Gustav? Can I use one PSU board to run 2 x W492's?
Sorry I'm either blind or can't find any info directly relating to PSU information for the units. Please help. :)

Does anyone have a spare stuffed PSU for hooking up a couple of these? cheers :)

Finished!!!
Finished up the wiring this afternoon, this thing sounds soooo nice

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 415
Back