Neumann W492 equalizer DIY project (PCB docs added)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will these pots be okay? they have quite a long shaft (which i need)and are conductive plastic.
RS stocknummer 504-2661
vishay P9A1RFISX1BB2103MLE3

R504248-01.jpg

.. O.K.... another question....I was planning on using a DPDT toggle for the " Bypass " in/out, and just noticed the three through holes marked " Out , GND , In "  under the rotary switch for bypass...

Could someone shed a little light on this ?  

Thanks,
             Chip

dagoose said:
Will these pots be okay? they have quite a long shaft (which i need)and are conductive plastic.
RS stocknummer 504-2661
vishay P9A1RFISX1BB2103MLE3

R504248-01.jpg
No, those are LOG taper, you need linear. RS has them in linear as well, but check the datasheet to see if they will physically fit the board.

hmm... your'e right... it needs lin's..  :-X
504-2627 is the pn for the lin version, will check the specs/measures tonight and if ok i will just order some to see if they will do the job.

audiophreak said:
.. O.K.... another question....I was planning on using a DPDT toggle for the " Bypass " in/out, and just noticed the three through holes marked " Out , GND , In "  under the rotary switch for bypass...Could someone shed a little light on this ?  
Thanks,Chip

Hi I'd love to help, but looking at the PCB in the first post, I cannot tell what you are referring to. Can you clarify at all. Attached is the W492 wiring guide. Is there another board for this build?

Attachments

• gview.png
    gview.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 171

envelope , thanks for the reply - I feel like such and idiot, I got my threads mixed up,  I'm building two types of EQs at the same time, W492 and the G-pultec, that question was for the G-Pultec  :-[

sorry for the inconvenience  ;D

Hey I'm trying to do a front panel, but I would like to make it for a vertical version.
What difference should I take in account in the pots??Mainly in the gain pots with the zero/center marked.

Is there any way to mount another pot version, or something like that?

dagoose said:
Will these pots be okay?

I ordered a sample a few years ago. That was one of the worst potentiometers that I have ever seen. It is likely that they have improved the design but I still would be carefull. (Plus they don't fit the PCB and 6mm shaft / 10mm knob is not an easy combination.)

Cosmonaut said:
Hey I'm trying to do a front panel, but I would like to make it for a vertical version. What difference should I take in account in the pots??Mainly in the gain pots with the zero/center marked.

Collet knobs can be assembled in any position...

I'm kinda getting to my wits end here looking or pots for this project. Does ANYONE have a link to pots tht can be easily purchased that will work for this project?

Jbvries, if you can stand to use the omeg pots, TAW has them set up as a set at you can order, they won't fit in purusha's case though, they work well and were really easy to order.

Unfortunately if you go to TAW and you get to the page that has the w492 eq set the availability is 0. I haven't contacted them yet but what are the other all be it more expensive pots people have used?

This what Laura from TAW responded back to me:

NEUMANN W492EQ SET -
6 - PC16ECO 10KA SPINDLE F21 L40 (SINGLES)
2 - PC2G16ECO 10KA X 10KA SPINDLE F21 L40 (DUAL)

I thought all the pots were dual? Are these part #'s correct?

Thanks!

Nope they don't all need to be dual, just 2 of them, search the thread and there's a post about which ones need to be dual, audiox laid them out as all dual cause that's what he had one hand and for more mechanical security.

Cool.. Thanks Ben. I wish those Sfernice pots were easier to get! Doesnt look like audiomaintenence stocks them anymore..

-jay

Back