Neumann W492 equalizer DIY project (PCB docs added)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering.. why is it so hard to get the pots? I never had so much trouble finding parts for a project.  ???
I contacted Laura and got an email back the next day but since then i didn't hear anything from her and audiomaintenance is out of stock etc etc..

so... hmm.. basically.. does anyone have pots or now where to REALLY buy it?  ::)

To dagoose:
How many pots do you need?
I have a pot-kit for a stereo EQ left over. They are omegs from TAW.

If ou are interested pm me!

wolfgang,

Ben your front panel looks great.. What company do you use to do you laser engraving? Thanks!

-jay

benlindell said:
Finished!!!
Finished up the wiring this afternoon, this thing sounds soooo nice

Hi,

Great project, this one!!!
I have just ordered PCBs from Gustav, and will begin building a unit with two of these soon.
I just have one question:

I assume that I will need something in addition, to get some ballanced audio to/from this board - and that I will need a PSU of some kind, for feeding the +-15v traces on each of the EQ´s.

I am a (nearly) total newbie, I have only build 2 GSSL klones so far :)
Anyone knows what I will need to complete? (I´m on europe 230v)
;D
Thanks

Anders Bau

Thanks man, i found this guy in Vermont that does laser engraving, it was the first time he had done this kind of stuff but he did a great job and had the best prices i found. Google vermont laser engraving, I believe the name of the company was BPN.

fallout said:
Ben your front panel looks great.. What company do you use to do you laser engraving? Thanks!

-jay

benlindell said:
Finished!!!
Finished up the wiring this afternoon, this thing sounds soooo nice

Yes and no. You do not need another for audio balancing. You do need a psu for the +/- 15 volts. Any kind should work, I used an extra one from mnats' 1176 project.

lovelyworldsound said:
Hi,

Great project, this one!!!
I have just ordered PCBs from Gustav, and will begin building a unit with two of these soon.
I just have one question:

I assume that I will need something in addition, to get some ballanced audio to/from this board - and that I will need a PSU of some kind, for feeding the +-15v traces on each of the EQ´s.

I am a (nearly) total newbie, I have only build 2 GSSL klones so far :)
Anyone knows what I will need to complete? (I´m on europe 230v)
;D
Thanks

Anders Bau

Good thing i didn't go too nuts looking for the Sfernice pots and went with the Omeg's from TAW.. Apparently, the PCBs Gustav is selling is for the Omeg's! Can't wait to get these fired up..

-jay

Yesterday my omeg pots arrived and so i could finish my w492.
There was only one problem, the omeg pots didn't fit the frontpanel (dan) and so i had to solder them with wires which took a bit longer but worked out great!
It worked at first fire-up which is nice for a chance but it's such a simple project that it was hard to screw up. ;D
The eq is dead quiet and sound pretty good though a bit rough but i think that is what i like about it.

The frontpanel is white, i spraypainted it myself and because it was a bit cold when i did it it looks a bit like powdercoated.
Anyway.. pics!! (and yes, the led in the white frontpanel is pink)
neu1.jpg

neu2.jpg

Nice work dagoose !

I am just finishing up four channels in a 2u rack case, I used nylon rails to support the PCBs, was curious how you secured yours, cant see how you attched them from the pix.

audiophreak said:
Nice work dagoose !

I am just finishing up four channels in a 2u rack case, I used nylon rails to support the PCBs, was curious how you secured yours, cant see how you attched them from the pix.

Thanks! :)

I drilled 2 holes in the pcb and used plastic rings to keep the ground loose from the screw to avoid groundloops since the the top part of the pcb is ground and the 'real ground' is on the XLR's.
Works like a charm but you don't have much place for drilling holes since there are a lot of traces going on on both sides, but it's do-able.  ;D

dagoose said:
Thanks! :)

I drilled 2 holes in the pcb and used plastic rings to keep the ground loose from the screw to avoid groundloops since the the top part of the pcb is ground and the 'real ground' is on the XLR's.
Works like a charm but you don't have much place for drilling holes since there are a lot of traces going on on both sides, but it's do-able.  ;D

Aahhhh...nice clean work ! I stared at it for awhile, and couldnt figure out where to drill holes,I didn't want to drill through something and mess it up, that's why I went with nylon rails...  ;D

What size knobs are you guys using with the Omeg pots? I had a few Tyco 1/8" knobs laying around that seem to be a bit too small for the Omeg pots.

Thanks..

-jay

Latest posts

Back