Neumann W492 equalizer DIY project (PCB docs added)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, apparently connecting it with the boards, negatives drops down to -15V, but now the problem I´m having it with the positive which is -.62 is ridicules , seems that TS7815 are not the ones for this project, Im going to try it with a lm317.

Finger crossed

For one the picture you posted showing a fragment of the psu is too big.  Please take another picture and while at it explain what transformer you are using.
Cheers
Dylan

Rocinante said:
For one the picture you posted showing a fragment of the psu is too big.  Please take another picture and while at it explain what transformer you are using.
Cheers
Dylan

This is the trafo I'm using
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 47
With out the IC's all voltages are ok, placing the first Ic voltages ok, when I put the second IC starts sucking but survives, placing the 3rd IC positive voltages is dead  negative voltages  is always ok

I made some progress I changed the PSU and regulated the LM337 and LM317 to +-15V, but when I insert all IC's my +-Voltages a drop down to  +-11 V, Then I changed the resistors to increase to +-23V but nothing happens only a bit of change +-11.42V
I'm feeding the 2 boards to this PSU and the trafo I posted earlier getting 18V from it
Maybe I need more power from the trafo, is good Idea to join yellow and red from it to have 38V ?
Some one?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 87
Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in here
but for starters I'm guessing it was a typo and you meant lm337 and lm317 correct?
If I was gonna guess I would say you have an ic in backwards somewhere.  It might explain the voltage jump.  Also looking at the psu (as well as trying to remember how I did mine) doesn't that area that says 'calculate' have a resistor in it?

Rocinante said:
Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in here
but for starters I'm guessing it was a typo and you meant lm337 and lm317 correct?
If I was gonna guess I would say you have an ic in backwards somewhere.  It might explain the voltage jump.  Also looking at the psu (as well as trying to remember how I did mine) doesn't that area that says 'calculate' have a resistor in it?
Hey
Yes I'm using lm317 and lm337, and about the area with out resistor is only to illuminate a led it doesn't interfere with the circuit,
This thing is driving me crazy, all ICs are  in the correct position

Is one W492 board mono or stereo?

I was wondering if it is possible to use the W492 board with the following changes:
1.  vertical version of the EQ, with "zero" stops on the EQ pots. This is for a dj mixer, where vertical and zero stops are essential.
2. -25/+10 db attenuation on each of the EQ sections.  What will I need to do to make this mod?
3.  one board must be a stereo channel.

thanks,
Herman

noviygera said:
Is one W492 board mono or stereo?

Mono.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the W492 board with the following changes:
1.  vertical version of the EQ, with "zero" stops on the EQ pots. This is for a dj mixer, where vertical and zero stops are essential.

Zero will not work corectly because there is none in real life conditions (due to tolerances up to 20%).

2. -25/+10 db attenuation on each of the EQ sections.  What will I need to do to make this mod?

This is a different beast,so at least the -25 is not possible without completely redesigning the whole eq.

3.  one board must be a stereo channel.

You need two boards for stereo and at least two 4-layer plastic conductive pots,hard to source I think.
Definetely the wrong eq for DJs.

thanks,
Herman

Best,

Udo.

Hello Udo,

Thanks, that answers my previous questions. Can you recommend a 4 band EQ to use in a DJ mixer application? Where the EQ is applied to a stereo channel. Any kits out there by chance?

thanks,
Herman

I thought people might be interested to see my solution for mounting the boards when using the Omeg (or indeed any other off-board) pots...

10914945_10155337475685707_8294980332452725156_o.jpg

I 3D printed some simple brackets. 

Designed in Sketch-up, then fabricated by iMaterialize.  They cost about £20 for 4, but as an experiment I'm 100% satisfied!

Hi,

iam new to this very cool Forum and to Diy World.
I only fixed Cables or burnt Opamps in my Gear :)

I really like the Sound of the old broadcast Equipment.
I have Filtek Mk3´s and Siemens W295 for example.

I have been offered some original w492 for 250,- Euro each.

But i think it would be fun to build them diy.

I think the originals have Transformers.
Had someone of the DIY 492 owners had done a test how they compare to the original Neumann´s?
Would be interesting how different the DIY Version Sounds.

Thank You

Hello there, I m new to this community but reading for quite a while all posts, I ve been trying to handle as much as a I can every problem a newbie can encouter, but ...

I ve finished to assemble my board and am now waiting for the pot order, since now I didn't thought about the PSU and I can't find a pcb layout that seems recommended for this project. I ve read that varipsu from pcbgrinder is fine , and I m sure it is, but I really don't feel like ordering only one 9 euros board with 20 euros for shipping .. ok I should have done it before :/

So I m considering etching the 9k SSL psu that can be find in documentation ,  but I have two question:
My toroid is 2x15v , If I change the 7818/7918 regulator to 7815/7915  do I have to change resistor value also ? If so which one ?
what to do with the 48V part for the phantom power ?

If somebody as already provided a pcb layout for this psu please let me know.

p0ulp said:
I really don't feel like ordering only one 9 euros board with 20 euros for shipping .. ok I should have done it before :/

You could use the regular mail option for much cheaper shipment, but its still a lot just for a utility PSU board, so...

p0ulp said:
I m considering etching the 9k SSL psu that can be find in documentation ,  but I have two question:
My toroid is 2x15v , If I change the 7818/7918 regulator to 7815/7915  do I have to change resistor value also ? If so which one ?
what to do with the 48V part for the phantom power ?

You can change the regulators and use a 2x15V toroid.

The resistors are only there to program the voltage output of the LM317 for phantom power, so leave that whole section out (doubler circuit/regulator)

Gustav

Back