What Happens

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

When a design exceeds the designer
icon_evil.gif
and amateurs won't follow the rules. Should I disappear like the other real gurus.

analag

You mean when entropy strikes, and all small details spiral out of control? :shock: :twisted:

Do tell. Hopefully nothing serious.

A cloak of invisibility can be very useful, but should only be used with careful planning.

Rowan,

don't go anywhere.. Just ignore. And you don't need to share a shit if you don't feel like it.

BTW, I've been tweaking the optical compressor. Swapped a pair of CV491's to the output, which made pretty damned huge difference. Then I tried a pair of XSM 10k/600's at the output (right after the 100uF SCR polypropylenes), and hated the sound. Just a moment ago I tried a 10uF WIMA MKP and a Lundahl LL3814 C-core in 3:1, and bingo! :thumb:

EDIT: Nevermind, the Edcor was too smooth from the highs after a 2nd try & WIMAs. Lundahl it is..

[quote author="analag"]Should I disappear like the other real gurus.[/quote]

Please don't.

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, but your latest compressor project has generated the most positive excitement that we have seen here in a while. This is particularly welcome after some of the negative energy that has crept in lately. Just try to blow off what ever negatives you are experiencing and focus on the positive energy that has come from this project. Almost 400 channels are getting built. That's gonna make for a lot of smiles.

-Chris

Yeah, I'm not sure what this is about, but I'd hate to see you go. I know, I know, ironic coming from one of the guys that has had harsh words for you in the past, but whatever it is that's frustrating you can surely be resolved. In order for that to happen though, you need to fill us in on what's causing the problem in order for change to occur.

If it's a matter of there being too many dumb question regarding the poor man project, there's a simple solution, just don't answer.

Here's to hoping all's well or gets there. :thumb:

I agree with above sentiments. Your presence has been uniquely beneficial. You got me thinking and questioning on things that would not be touched by others.

Please accept the offers of help to resolve whatever issue perturbs you. The amount of enthusiasm for your designs is extraordinary.

[quote author="analag"] Should I disappear like the other real gurus.[/quote]

In all fairness, we still have more than our fair share of gurus. My gratitude and respect to those who remain. Thank you generous and knowledgeable forum stalwarts!

[quote author="analag"]When a design exceeds the designer
icon_evil.gif
and amateurs won't follow the rule. Should I disappear like the other real gurus.

analag[/quote]

You mean I wasn't the only guy who got that PM asking which leg goes into the underpants first? Here I was thinking I'm special :green:

Rowan, whatever it is that got your back up, relax and as they say, have a jam sandwich :thumb:

Thanks again for the great designs and for hanging around and helping me begin to understand tubes/valves (I still get boggled by it all!). Stick around, this pace can be fun :sam:

Cheers

Matt

Too bad you had to work last AES in NYC! I admire your weapons of hot silicon and home-grown heavy metal. Don't lose the force. If there is a buzzing around you, try making a disclaimer list or something in your profile. If you do not answer an email or PM, you have already made it clear with a statement that you have a life beyond the circuit or subsequent kit offered. Anyone who has read your posts for the past 2 years or so would be a dope to bother you with minutiae.

And steel yourself for the first "Super Sex-Sexty" on ebay from that putz Maljkos! Your current hassles will seem like nothing.

nuff' respect. . .
Mike

PS: and I shun the term "guru". They were a dime a dozen in the 60's like the ponchos, and the word has been diluted. They are invariably shams in reality. Especially self-titled. Real chi-masters are hidden and no one knows they exist except for those who care for them.

[quote author="analag"] and amateurs won't follow the rule.

analag[/quote]

I dont know what exactly this is but my speculation is that analag was hit by a barrage of PMs.I started the transformer GB and there are folks PMing daily asking real stupid questions without doing ANY homework or reading stuff already posted.I am guessing Analag gets 10 times the PMs I'm getting the past few days.
If you still dont know how many transformers are required to build a PM670 quit doing that project.
I am in the amateur category but the only PM I sent analag was requesting if he could test the prototype toroidal transformer and he agreed to it.

People who know things are generally willing to share knowledge, but when people ask you to do work for them, so they don't have to figure things out for themselves, it becomes tedious.

There is merit to being results oriented, but if you treat people who are willing to share, as a resource you can just ping for answers, you kill the golden goose that makes this place worth hanging around.

Teach a man to fish.. yadda yadda... There is no free fish. You've got to put a worm on the hook,

JR

Analag, you just become a star and you are now victim of your own success :wink:
Seriously, it is human nature to ask questions, even the smartest guy could ask the more stupid questions under some circonstances

analag,

I don't know if there are really any stupid questions, BUT - it is very frustrating when people don't want to invest even the least bit of energy on their own part.

I suppose it's a sign of the times today - where everyone (figuratively speaking) wants instant gratification (Fries with that Whopper please) and no one is taught from the crib on up that they have a responsibility to do for themselves - that the world doesn't owe them a thing.

But - before you run off and abandon those who DO appreaciate you (and who show you that they have a brain) - I would suggest that you just ignore the others.......... change your tack a bit.

Establish a series of WRITTEN rules for posters - one that requires them to read through the existing threads - one that requires them to learn what's already available - one that let's them know that until they do that (AND PROVE THAT in the open forum) they will not be allowed to deal with you personally through the PM system, in fact they won't even be answered in the forum.

And then just stick to it - if they want to know why they are being ignored - just point them to the rules........... tell them to read.......

AND - if they are so obtuse that they still don't get it - then just continue to ignore them........... no mtter how stupid they are - eventually even THEY will get the message and leave.......

Best of luck to you

Sincerely,

Rod Gervais

When we have something that will be as widely built as "this". Certain guidelines must be observed. (1) The 5687 generates a lot of heat (2) unshielded audio transformers (8) to be exact, must be isolated from any source of hum. I much prefer toroidal power source as used in mine. Squeezing everything in an undersized enclosure is asking for trouble. I also prefer ceramic tube sockets as I've melted a few plastic ones with the 5687.
400 channels is fine, but 400 properly built channels is even better.

Quality control becomes as important as the PCB and circuit design.

Hey Svart, I mean Chris... we ain't shared a bottle lately man.

analag

Hey Svart, I mean Chris... we ain't shared a bottle lately man.

Hey Rowan,

Are you out in Atlanta as well? I caught a beer with Chris last time I was out that way a little over a year ago and I'll be back in Loganville, GA in mid/late September, want to grab a beer? Hopefully by then Chris can show us around his new studio :thumb:

Cheers

Matt

Latest posts

Back