USA telcom and other things

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

http://www.maplight.org/FISA_June08

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/06/telecom-amnesty.html

other places to read

http://www.opensecrets.org/
http://www.factcheck.org/

I do not believe without checking what I read at the sites like any site on the web, but interesting to read.

I'm sure all kinds of compromises are involved for less than honorable reasons. My suspicion is that some fear publicity and discussion of such matters will favor one party over the other. Likewise I find the news out of Iraq just about non-existent in the popular press. It's still there and still important. You think gas is expensive now wait till Iran sinks a tanker in the straits of Hormuz... :roll: Perhaps similar to the (liberal?) press's all but ignoring Imus' latest racial slip up... No racial animus here. Not until after the elections.
-----
I don't personally feel that phone companies should have to put their shareholders or existence at risk to follow government orders. I am a little concerned that I didn't hear about an automatic sunset provision in this version of the bill. (Note: I didn't read the bill and don't plan to)

I make a huge distinction between temporary and permanent government powers. This one shouldn't be permanent IMO.

-----

JR

I don't know that it's in anyone's interest to start bombing yet. I won't say it won't happen, but if oil gets too high, US economy goes down, taking down China with it, and the demand for Persian and Saudi and Russian oil. Maybe that's what they want, but the retaliation for that is probably going to come not from just the US but also Russia and China, who are not particularly impressed with Persia these days, either.

If that does happen, we might be kissing our asses goodbye in a hurry. It's a very delicate situation globally, pretty close to a very fragile circle. A little crack anywhere and it all breaks apart.

One little glimmer of hope was the North Korean thing. I said glimmer. But it's still a bit dark out there.

Of course, perhaps Earth would be better without humans on it. Actually, I know it would be. I just don't want it to be on my watch.

[quote author="dale116dot7"]

Of course, perhaps Earth would be better without humans on it. Actually, I know it would be. I just don't want it to be on my watch.[/quote]

+1
I've said it before but we should not be saying "Save the planet" - that will of course
continue LONG after we've gone, it's more a case of "save the human race" if we do
actually deserve to be saved !!

( I personally don't think we do with all the crap we get up to - you don't see Antelopes
fucking each other over for a few bucks ! )

MM.

[quote author="MartyMart"]( I personally don't think we do with all the crap we get up to - you don't see Antelopes
fucking each other over for a few bucks ! )[/quote]

The animal kingdom is pretty brutal. Antelopes may not f*** each other over, but they will fight till there's only one left standing, and the other is food for crows and other scavengers.

Yea, a bit of a different turn, I know what you mean. We don't know what's going to happen, but to me it looks pretty grim no matter which way I seem to look.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as all "doom and gloom", but as a
species , I don't have much sympathy or empathy for humans, I prefer
other animals in general.
Male Lions will for instance, kill cubs to take over a "pride" of females, which
is brutal but instinctive- rather than based on greed for money/business.
Same goes for "survival of the fittest" in the animal kingdom and yes, there's a
natural "food chain" which we used to be a part of !!
Natural "instinct' actions, I can cope with but not the "cold calculated" stuff
that we get up to.
Like flying a jet into buildings and killing thousands :cry:

Beer anyone ? :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

Again, sorry for getting too OT or offending anyone.

SSLtech said:
[quote author="MartyMart"][quote author="dale116dot7"]you don't see Antelopes
fucking each other over for a few bucks !
Well, they may not lock antlers over a few bucks...

...But they will do it over a few does!!!

:green:[/quote]

Thanks for the first audible laugh over here of the day!

[quote author="MartyMart"]Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as all "doom and gloom", but as a
species , I don't have much sympathy or empathy for humans, I prefer
other animals in general.
[/quote]

Purely platonic, I'm sure :wink: And I hope that you would not condone infanticide or euthanasia of the weak and crippled as it happens in the animal kingdom. Put us humans down if you want, but empathy and compassion are in short supply among animals.

In the US, there was internal surveillance of the existing technologies of the day during the Revolutionary War, and every war since. The only difference is that in the last three or four decades the punishment for treason or sabotage has been diluted to not much of anything. Do not forget that this IS a war, even though our soldiers and system are bending-over and kissing their rears trying to be nice to the enemy.
Mike

Latest posts

Back