Joe Cocker translated...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="bitman"]What a spaz.
Anybody know what was/is wrong with that guy anyway? - Drugs?[/quote]

Emotion.

Often when I hear him singing (from that era, certainly) I think long and hard that there is nobody who could possibly deliver such simple ideas with more conviction, or in a more meaningfully moving way.

Example: On Saturday, I heard him singing "you are so beautiful to me" over the muzak system at Albertsons' grocery store. -He sings those six words with more conviction than many singers can muster during an entire career. -Burying himself 'in the moment' to that degree means that he acts like a guy who really can't stand still, but sure as hell can't 'dance'...

Thank the lord he knew how to sing the f%#@$ out of a tune!

-That having been said, the translation is uproariously funny!!!

Keith

Totally fantastic. Completely outdoes some other amusements, like the supposed Hendrix "kiss this guy" thing.

And in re Cocker: you can't get there with false drugs. Not that people weren't constantly plying him with them.

Kathryn King told me a JC anecdote. I think it was at Kendun, here in LA, and this very nervous and chronically edgy producer was cutting a disk---the final opportunity in those vinyl-only days to make final tweaks on the EQ etc.

The production involved, among other material, some spoken-word passages of a political nature.

Cocker was wandering about the studio complex, and came into the room unannounced. They were about 2/3 through the cutting, and tension was already very very high. Not a word was spoken, and as he entered probably breaths were drawn and held.

JC listened for a little while, decided he didn't like what he was hearing, and walked over to the rolling tape machines.

He reached out and hit Stop.

I don't recall if the producer actually required immediate hospitalization or not.

I had to pause that at 'probiotics changed the way I feel now' because I was laughing so hard.

Could well be the funniest thing I've seen on youtube.

Cheers SSLtech :thumb:

[quote author="rob_gould"]I had to pause that at 'probiotics changed the way I feel now' because I was laughing so hard.

Could well be the funniest thing I've seen on youtube.

Cheers SSLtech :thumb:[/quote]

That was the KILLER for me as well :green:

I've always thought of him as the guy with the least talent and the most love/desire. Pure heart had him sticking with it until he acquired some chops! Good for him :guinness:

There's a guy on youtube (Buffalax) that has some of the best (and funniest) pseudo translations, mostly of crazy Indian and Asian videos.

Here's the laughy best...

Benny Lava
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1NoOOoaNw

Girly Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJRNyPK-lc

Samurai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBI4v40zLFE

=FB=

About 25 years ago, Maxell ran a series of adverts in the UK (and possibly elsewhere?) based on the old video of someone peeling off a series of cue-cards with the lyrics on...

Except they did it with 'muffed' lyrics, and ended each with the idea of "I think that's what they sang... but I'd have to hear it on a MAXELL" sort of thing.

Desmond Dekker

and

The Skids

Keith

Latest posts

Back