Is a bass neck supposed to be wider than it's body?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont get it..?...
..a string lower than the E string usually has no power and doesn't really contribute to anything musicaly ( opinion) and bass strings higher than the G string?..then you're up in guitar territory....are these instruments made for people who don't want to, or don't get to, play with others?
j

[quote author="dale116dot7"]A real bass has four strings except for some classical music where either a five-string bass or a low C extension can be used to advantage. Just my humble opinion.

- Dale[/quote]

A real bass stands upright, has a scroll headstock & f holes !

To my taste only 9 strings may sound a little limited. E, F, #F, G, #G, A, ...
For handicapped people who dislike the look of a piano frame around their neck and actually want to play some (9 different) deeper notes, these paddles look way cooler.

Hearing THIS made me go and buy a Stick a few years ago. I couldn't wrap my head around it and it sat unplayed for the most part.

:?

Sold it a while back.[/url]

Yeah, too many. But I'll agree with one thing at least. It's a big fat neck with lots of space between the strings. You gotta really step up to go there. But not for me.

I don't imagine wanting higher strings. I usually play high on the lowest possible string. I play four strings, and am used to tuning the E down as low as C# for a few songs. Really don't feel the need to be encumbered by a fifth lower string on a bass body and neck style I don't dig.

Is a bass neck supposed to be wider than it's body?

daveyslocker12.jpg

If it has 4 strings, it's a bass.

If it has 5 strings, it's a banjo.

If it has 6 strings, it's a guitar.

If it has 7 strings, you deserve a savage beating.

Tony Levin had Ernie Ball/Musicman make him a three string!!
:grin:
I'm mostly a 4 string player with a hipshot.

I do own/use a 5-string (on occasion) but that's where I draw the line...low B string is okay but I never understood the need for higher strings other than for masturbatory purposes. :roll:
Unless it's an old school 8-string like the old hagstroms..though I guess that still could be considered a 4 string..right?

:?

There is just something twisted about those - along with whatever mind thought to design and construct them - and those who might deceive themselves into believing they need somethihng like that to play........

Those are typical ERBs, (Extended Range Basses),
If you start googling some of the players and watch some videos on youtube, you can see that these guys are going into a whole new way of playing bass.

I respect the players that can think in so many strings. :green:
I have trouble with 4 as it is.

9 strings are usually tuned with 2 strings under the Low E.
F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb

Here is a 12 string.. Don't ask about the tunning. :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT_kQbAFFfs

take care
Gil

occasionally I saw a micheal manning video - he uses to give his strings new tunings while playing. His bass had several things like the d-tuner thingie also in the bridge etc. to broaden up the tonal range and doing all kind of effect scale change stuff with this. Well that I consider some kind of cool really ...but more than 4-5 strings is a guitar or chapman stick....IMHO

It's hard to imagine, but in his feedback I found this:

Not a proffessional instrument as stated/good communication though
mayaedate ( 18 [Feedback score is 10 to 49] )
Jul-11-08 16:12

Reply by tropicalmoonmusic (Jul-11-08 21:39):
we helped customer 100 perecnt still unhappy we bent over backwards what a joker

NEW PROFESSIONAL 15 STRING ELECTRIC BASS (#120274579090) US $456.15

Which seems real to me...but what a bargain at $456.15 / 15 = $30.41 per string!

And someone recently bought this abomination from him as well:

Basstard

P. T. Barnum would be proud...

A P

Back