Soundproof control room window

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubxf

Hello,
i have two 4 x 8 openings that i need to put windows in
i'm going for 1/2" laminated on one side and 3/8 laminated on the other side.
Should i attempt the DIY or should i get them installed.
Best Regards
francois

I would have them installed.

Having the proper tools when installing glass is everything. I say pick your battles. Losing a hand or fingers would not be a good thing =)

ju

You'll also have codes to deal with concerning where safety glass is mandatory, and exterior windows may be required to open and close.

If you do decide to DIY, be sure to figure out the STC of the wall that they're going into, and... is there a door on the same wall? You don't want to spend foolish money by overbuilding.

There's also relative humidity to consider between the panes. If your windows are installed "air tight", as they should be, you will eventually get moisture between them. The simplest way to take care of this is to build a trough between the panes and fill it with molecular sieve. You can cover that with cloth wrapped OC703.

I'll bet if you filled up the space between the panes with sand it would really be quiet. :grin:

Ones I've seen were angled to reduce coupling, but I don't know how much that matters if using thick glass.

JR

Are you positive that they were angled to reduce "coupling"? Most of the time it's angled to eliminate lighting glare.

[quote author="drpat"]Are you positive that they were angled to reduce "coupling"? Most of the time it's angled to eliminate lighting glare.[/quote]

I just referred to The Master Handbook of Acoustics, and you're right, angling one of the glass panels helps with light glare and also external sound reflections, but does nothing for sound transmission loss.

Sorry, I've been spending too much time around drums. :oops:

I was suspicious it wouldn't make a difference. The mass of the air is small wrt mass of glass. So making an insignificant thing smaller is still insignificant...

I suspect an angled resonant head wouldn't make a difference in a drum, but we're not talking about drums... so disregard.

JR

from my studies it seems that the major impact is the difference in resonant properties between glass of different thicknesses and compositions, not necessarily the angle. If there was a significant airspace between the sheets that would allow lower frequencies to develop then the angling might help disburse sympathetic vibrations. I think in the small volume or air between the glass, the weight of the glass will keep the high frequencies to a minimum.

[quote author="ubxf"]Hello,
i have two 4 x 8 openings that i need to put windows in
i'm going for 1/2" laminated on one side and 3/8 laminated on the other side.
Should i attempt the DIY or should i get them installed.
Best Regards
francois[/quote]
Hi Francois,

Installing glass is not difficult or dangerous, nor do you need any special tools other than gloves and a good back. The edges are usually rounded from the factory (inhibits large chip-outs from occurring around the edges) and are safe to handle.

A couple things about tempered glass sheets: they hate any single point pressure or binding when mounted. Make sure the seal surface is smooth and free of protrusions such as nails, staples ect. The glass needs to lie flat and not bind anywhere around the edges, otherwise it will shatter when you apply the pressure from the outer stops.

The other important thing to remember when handling large sheets is that the glass needs to stay pretty much vertical all of the time. If it goes too horizontal without proper support, it will fold in on itself and crumble.

A 4'X8'X1/2" sheet of glass will weigh in at a bit over 200 pounds, and I think if you've never done this before, you should have the glazier do it. Have them come out and measure it too, so they're responsible for any mistakes.

You are going to do most of work anyway; all of the inner stops should be in place, and the outer stops cut with seals in place and ready to install. This should be the last of the major mechanical tasks, and everything should be vacuumed and cleaned the day before installation. The air needs to settle and be dust free. Shutting off the air cond wouldn't hurt either.
When the glass is positioned on the floor in front of the opening, give it a good cleaning with windex and lint-free towels. Have a buddy with a light shine it at an angle while you clean. Take your time doing this, and don't let the installers rush you. When you're absolutely satisfied with it, have them lift the glass into place. Make sure there is no binding and that it sits flat against the inner seal. Then you can install the outer stops. After the first pane is in, you have a second chance to clean it from the inside if you missed something or a palm hit it. The second one you won't, obviously, so take your time with it.

Latest posts

Back