If we can't have a monarchial class...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipwave

... at least we can look like it.

Report-Nations-R.article.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/report_nations_gentrified

Very silly, I know, but this coincides with my current obsession; Castle-like urban architecture. There is so much new construction in my city and I am continually noticing the common elements, the most striking of which is a trend towards building what amount to small castles.

The trend for the past several years appeared to be plain red brick facades with Juliette balconies and Romanesque arches and parapets. It was dominated by black ironwork against stone, the marriage of ancient and modern. Now the facades are getting more elaborate, almost Baroque.

My conjecture is that people are seeking to withdraw from the world into these fortified looking homes. Withdrawing from scary times in an incomprehensibly complicated world. Purely for a psychological sense of security, possibly not even a conscious effort.

Of course, I could way off the mark.... these are just things I contemplate on the bus. :wink:

Back