Roland RE-201 Intensity problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Squid

Hwyl all,

Been trying to sort out my space delay for a while now, but i can't seem to get to the bottom of the problem.
Basically, the intensity knob, after about 12 'o clock doesn't seem to get any more 'intense', I can't get the bugger to 'dub' out........
I got hold of the service manual, and in the setup, it says -

'under the input at 0, adjust the semi-fixed pot (VR12 - intensity adj), provided for this intensity adjustment, to where it has the self oscillation at about 75% turn to the maximum'

done that, but still, the intensity, doesn't seem to go past halfway, on the front panel control.
got me the collie, spacexpander verb, mutron biphase, but no dub dub dub dub dub :wink:

Anyone else been in the same boat ??

Steve :thumb:

Had one in a month ago with that problem, The main thing that made a difference was replacing the electrolytic caps in the tape return audio path, they were shot, difficult things to get to to remove and replace though, the board is laced in good and tight. You will need a schematic to figure out which ones to replace, but the correct answer is to replace every one in the machine, they will be thoroughly stuffed by now.

After that I could hear repeats, (there were basically none at all before then), and I found that the pinch roller was shot, so there was too little tape tension, and the tape itself was so worn that it might as well have had scotch tape in there.

There is a company that sells reco pinch rollers, or will re-rubber yours if you send it to them.

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

So the order is Re-cap, demagnetize heads, good tape and good pinch roller. After that if you still have problems you can go looking further in the knowledge that you are not chasing phantoms caused by bad caps and tape.

[quote author="jensenmann"]what tape do you suggest?
Isn´t the original tape Fe type - the shite you don´t get anymore?[/quote]

The tape is very specific, ordinary 1/4 inch tape will not work properly. Something about the thickness or the slipperyness of the back of the tape I think.

Melbourne Music Centre (Melmusic) in Australia has someone who has the right tape and makes new loops up for Roland machines.

Hi Steve,
The main thing that made a difference was replacing the electrolytic caps in the tape return audio path, they were shot, difficult things to get to to remove and replace though, the board is laced in good and tight. You will need a schematic to figure out which ones to replace, but the correct answer is to replace every one in the machine, they will be thoroughly stuffed by now.
Yep, pretty much what i thought :sad:
I've been thinking of doing the re-capping for a while now, but i've always been a bit daunted by the way the board is 'laced' in, as well as the other problems associated with 30+ year old p.c.b. repair. But it looks like it's time to do it, as i'm getting no joy with the intensity over half.
found this site, with the manual, and looks like the guy has been through this same problem before ;

http://www.omegav.ntnu.no/~karlto/diy.html

Tried to contact him, but haven't had no reply yet, if only to find out , what the cause of the problem was , with his machine.
After that I could hear repeats, (there were basically none at all before then), and I found that the pinch roller was shot,
Steve, did you get the beast , self oscillating ?
Pinch roller seems fine.
Wish me luck fellas :wink:
Steve

the tape is a 'springy' metallic backing... but Ampex 456 or 406 always used to work, though just not quite so durable before creasing/pinching etc.

Check head condition, check the caps, check the bias oscillator and make sure everything in the tape path is CLEAN. -BE CAREFUL not to allow alcohol to run down the capstan shaft and into the capstan bearings, so do NOT use a cotton swab to clean the capstan... only a LIGHLY alcohol-dampened lint-free piece of cloth.

Keith

Funnily enough I managed to get a replacement genuine Roland tape about 8 or 10 years ago from Electro Music in Doncaster.

I walked in and asked, and they had one behind the counter! Even back then they were pretty obsolete. Still, I guess there are a lot kicking around.

I wish I hadn't sold mine now!

my understanding is that the original Roland tape had a lot more lubricant in it and the 456 will tend to wear out your heads a bit quicker.

When I was looking for tape I was advised to use 1/4" tape from an 70s 8-track cartridge....this is the correct 'lubricated' type.

working fine for me so far.

10 seconds research threw up...
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=199412&Main=195048
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/72725-help-me-load-my-space-echo.html

[quote author="Kid Squid"]
Steve, did you get the beast , self oscillating ?
Pinch roller seems fine.
Wish me luck fellas :wink:
Steve[/quote]

No, I got it from no repeats whatsoever to having reasonable repeats, but nowhere near full feedback by re-capping, but this machine had a piece of yellow heat-shrink over the pinch roller and the tape was almost transparent, so I am waiting for a new roller and tape before I go any further chasing electronic faults.

Do you guys have a suggestion for me to reduce wow & flutter on a space echo I've got on repair?

:oops: , not meaning to hijack but I've got no experience with tape machines.

I suppose it has something to do with tensioning it properly.?

Latest posts

Back