CAT-5 / RJ-45 Hub - Pin Spacing Dilemma

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipwave

The pin spacing on all the Cat5 jacks I can find don't appear to fit on any perfboard. What do you mount these things on, do you have to design a PCB around them?

https://www.amphenolcanada.com/ProductSearch/drawings/AC/RJHSE5080.pdf

They each have two rows of pins. The spacing between pins is standard, but the two rows are offset from each other, so only one or other row would mate to a piece of perfboard.

This is all in service of our Furman HDS-6 headphone distribution system, which is becoming more of a pain than it is worth.

Experiences? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Brian

RJ45s. Do you strictly need to mount directly to a board?

If I recall correctly, Greg from Electrical who posts here sometimes swapped these for Lemos.

I assembled a digital desk along with mic amp crates, etc. and these used RJ45s too. I'm not convinced they are the best choice yet. Self-cleaning and fairly good contact, but not very rugged.

Right, I always forget to make that distinction. CAT5 is the cable, RJ-45 is the connector standard.

I'm off to google "Lemos" or "Lemo". :green:

EDIT: Wow, those look awesome and super rugged. Everything that the crappy, flimsy, plastic RJ-45 is not. However, they are also comparatively very expensive.

Latest posts

Back