Looking to design my first PCB layout ...any suggestions???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS Audio

Hello, In the near future I will probably be looking to do a pcb layout design from scratch and it would be great if you folks could give me some suggestions as to what type of "gear" (Mic pre, EQ, Gates/Limiter) you all would want me to do.

Being that this will be my first official design I will make the layout "open" to the public once the design is complete; having the layout included with gerber/selfetch files that I will post....maybe I can get some free PCBs out of the deal when Gustav gets around fabbing some more boards!!!! :razz:

So far i've been looking to consider doing a layout of the Redd47 tube pre...but I am sure that you folks probably will have some better suggestions as to what type of circuit that I should do.

Your comments are more than welcomed....

Well of course anyone who designs a cool board and posts it is doing some good for the community, and though I can't think of something other than the stuff I'll be designing myself, a tube pre sounds pretty cool...I haven't heard of the Redd47 before?

there is a bit of mystery and trouble concerning the redd47 I would avoid doing that one and consider something else. There are plenty of tube pre's floating around here that would be nice on a PCB.

How about a " universal " adaptable 2 stage tube pre
where jumpers could be used to make it fixed gain or
feedback , or 12ax input stage and white follower output ,
or take the Jensen white papers
or single tube boards with enough component spots to
make several variations as desired ?

There is no dual 990 style pre amp pcb's here.

Since Ptownkid slangs the 990 kits and I have a bunch of them to use up... that would be my boat.

I appreciate the replies i've recieved so far..so if anyone has a layout request, please just either PM or email me at [email protected] with the actual schematic or link to the schematic(s) or any other additional info that would be of such help.

Let's keep going with the suggestions and after enough posts i'll decide on which to do. I will be my small contribution to this great addiction...eh I mean to this art and science that we know as diy :razz:

Also, I am willing to do some PCB "redesigns" such as a pcb redesign that would be able to be connected via edge card connector within a "din" rail system type setup.

Why not do small but many different pcbs.

Good to have things like a dual opamp board, precision rectifier for vu meter, SRPP gainstage etc.

[quote author="ENS Audio"]Hello, In the near future I will probably be looking to do a pcb layout design from scratch and it would be great if you folks could give me some suggestions as to what type of "gear" (Mic pre, EQ, Gates/Limiter) you all would want me to do.[/quote]
What do you need?

There's a saying in the free/open software world: Every good work of software starts by scratching a developer's personal itch. I believe it applies to hardware designs as well: it isn't just about doing a board layout; it's about doing a layout, testing it, finding it isn't 'just so' (either through layout flaws or incorrect/incomplete schematics), re-doing the layout, lather, rinse, repeat. A recent example is Curtis vs the XS902. It is much more likely that you'll keep the motivation to complete this process for something that you really want to have yourself.

Just sayin',

JDB.

Latest posts

Back